Calibrating an iBook is hard

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by GanChan, Jul 28, 2008.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I've tried several times to calibrate my GD iBook's onboard display using Apple's Display Assistant and SuperCal, but I just can't get my whites to look really white. (I sound like an old detergent ad.)

Depending on the angle of the display relative to my eyes, I either get a slight pinkish hue or a slight blueish hue; if I'm really lucky, I experience what passes for a grayish off-white. And no matter how much I make the calibration tests all line up just so, the colors still look muted and slightly off in comparison to my nice Viewsonic 19" monitor.

Is it just a lack of LCD power/wattage? Just the nature of notebook displays? Or a particular iBook issue?

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

My powerbook 1.67ghz always had an "off white to yellow" color for white. Kinda yellowish eggshell if I were to guess color. I never could get it right.
    It was pretty close to white at the beginning, but after 3 years, and holding it up to my wife's laptop, it was dingy looking.

My MBP if anything is whiter than my wife's laptop now. You might search here for color calibration profile here.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=11766339

I could not fine any for an ibook, but some of the profiles might work for you, or get you closer.