Calibrating Battery Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by l3ebs, Oct 31, 2008.

1. l3ebs macrumors newbie

Hi,

Im just in the process of calibrating my macbook alu battery but have a quick question. I am a bit confused about point 5. When the macbook battery has drained what do you do? It says something about leaving it for 5 hours? Huh? Some help would be appreciated.

1. Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.

2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.

3. Disconnect the power adapter with the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.

4. Continue to keep your computer on until it goes to sleep. Save all your work and close all applications when the battery gets very low, before the computer goes to sleep.

5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.

6. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

You must leave it for 5 hours or more after it goes to sleep by itself so that you give the battery a chance to chemically stabilize for the best calibration results.

Once you get the low battery warning, I think it is best to close all applications and just wait for it to go to sleep. Once it goes to sleep just close the lid and leave it for 5 hours or more. Then just plug it in when the time is up.

3. l3ebs thread starter macrumors newbie

So after 5 hours does something happen? Or am i just supposed to connect it back to a/c then

Also, to speed up the process, when I am running down the battery to drain it. Can I run a movie to run it down quicker or will this affect the calibration???

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Nope, nothing happens. That's just the amount of time they deem necessary for the battery to fully stabilize. Just plug in the magsafe once the time is up.

It doesn't matter what you do to drain it. As long it's drained. Turn up the brightness, play a game, watch a movie, whatever you want to drain it faster if you'd like.

5. l3ebs thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay sweet.

And once this 5 hours is up after keeping it on sleep mode I just plug in the magsafe charger back to 100% and its done?