Calibrating battery worked backwards

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cornopaez, Dec 3, 2007.

1. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

So, after reading some threads here of some people complaining about their battery health going down one percent with each cycle (and hearing of the uberbatteries out there, 100% after nearly 500 cycles :eek:), I decided to try and calibrate mine to see if I'd get back my missing 15% of battery health. To my surprise it actually worked backwards: instead of improving it went down even faster. Now it stands in a solid 80%. :(

So, what exactly does the calibration process do to the battery? :confused:

2. amusiccale macrumors 6502

To my understanding, the calibration process makes the reading of how much of how much battery time remains more accurate. While cycling the battery wholly is important to keep those electrons moving, to my knowledge, the health of the battery is less of an issue (no/little memory effect?) than gaining an accurate read-out. Give it a few more cycles and keep an eye on it.

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

There's no such thing as memory effect with a lithium ion battery.

The whole point of calibration is to ensure the most accurate time remaining estimate. Your health appeared to go down because it wasn't accurate before calibration. You didn't lose any health because it wasn't there to begin with.