Calibrating battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iNeutral, Mar 2, 2011.

1. iNeutral macrumors newbie

I just bought the MacBook Pro a couple days ago and stumbled upon Apples site about calibrating the battery.

How important is it to do this? Does it just make it so the display percentage is correct or does it make the battery perform better/last longer?

Thanks! :apple:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Beat me to it! lol

4. iNeutral thread starter macrumors newbie

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not too often, though! I'm getting old and slow!
    You're welcome! If this is your first Mac (and even if it isn't), this may have some helpful stuff for you:

6. simsaladimbamba

"Getting" is the wrong verb I guess. ;)

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It's part of getting old lol.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're absolutely correct (as usual!) Okay, just because my family physician is an archaeologist, that doesn't prove I'm a fossil! (but I am, by this forum's standards!)

9. iNeutral thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

It is my first Mac and have to say I wasnt always a big fan. I have used Linux for several years and never felt the need to pay so much for something so similair. When I needed a new laptop I said what the heck and got one and just in time for the new ones to :) Have to say I'm glad I bought one!

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Welcome to Mac! New Mac? Where to Start!

11. HacKage macrumors regular

The calibration only really needs to be done around once a month or so at most, or when you notice that when the lappy is fully charged it is only showing 98% or something. I think a big deal is made over it really over nothing, but there's no harm in doing it.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Even after calibration, it's normal for the battery not to show 100% health. Calibration won't change that.

13. HacKage macrumors regular

Yes, but is the point of it not just to allow the OS to show a true representation of the battery level? From what I've gathered from some threads regarding calibration, a lot of people panic over it and think that it affects the life of the battery.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it is, and yes, there are plenty of misconceptions about calibration. I only responded to your post because some (whose battery health accurately shows 98% instead of 100%) might think they can change that through calibration. The Battery FAQ that I posted addresses this, as well.