Calibrating CLUTs.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Denarius, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

We've just bought a MOTU HDX-SDI A/V interface and currently the HDMI out is driving a domestic television. I've set up the TV as well as I can with an SMPTE test card, but the MOTU can set up and apply Colour Lookup Tables to its HDMI out, which I reckon will be a brilliant feature to set up for the purposes of colour grading.

Does anyone have any experience of setting up colour lookup tables? Tools needed, process to follow?

2. Denarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Denarius

No answer then. Well, as it turns out, I spoke to MOTU about this and they said that I'd misunderstood what the output CLUT was for although they also said that it may be used for the purpose I described.

I used the SMPTE calibration procedurehere in the end to set up the monitor (I put the color bars that they made available for download on the FCP timeline and carried on from there). Essentially, the CLUT in the MOTU allowed me to simulate a blue only button on the monitor so I could set the Saturation correctly. Once this was set, it turned out that the hue was already spot on, so this might be a good way to go if you want to get a reference colour monitor on the cheap.