Calibrating MBP battery??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spmiz12, Dec 27, 2010.

1. spmiz12 macrumors regular

Going through the process of calibrating my MBP battery..... At the stage where it is fully charging up the first step in procedure.... After this you are to remaining leaving the charger attached for 2 hours ( can still use ) then after the 2 hours you are to unplug and basically let battery discharge..... Do I need to make energy saver settings to NEVER sleep for computer and display under battery power??

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You leave it plugged in for 2 hours once it reaches full charge, then you unplug it and use it normally until the battery dies, close the lid and leave it alone for ATLEAST 5 hours. After atleast 5 hours you plug it back in and leave it plugged in until it is fully charged, you can use it while its charging but it must stay plugged in until fully charged.

3. dime21 macrumors 6502

Ugh, just plug the damn thing in and use it. Battery is a consumable device. You use it, it gets used up after a few years, and you toss it and buy a new one. People who stress out about charge cycles and conditioning and whatnot make me LOL.

4. spmiz12 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, but when you not getting sufficient battery life from the start of anywhere near 8-9 hours; you try what others feel that has helped.

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I calibrated mine a lot but that has little to do with the battery life I get. Sometimes when I open only one or two programs it just needs 2-5 W less power than usual. After 8 months I still don't really see a pattern.
    It seems as if most of the time OSX is doing back ground stuff while very rarely it is not.
    Eitherway once you actually use the Computer and do something battery life is nowhere near 8-9h but closer to 4 and quickly at 3.

Go ahead an try it but don't expect to much. At least I don't feel the calibartion does anything except to show little changes in the capacity coconut shows but that changes with normal cycles too. I guess calibration is just not necessary or much less often and thus has little to no effect. The battery life numbers simply got more and more unrealisitic every new generation.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Calibrating does not make your battery last longer. It simply improves the accuracy of the battery timer.

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

The op asked how to calibrate it not for your opinion on how people should use the battery. Also, I still like your signature.

8. dime21 macrumors 6502

Perhaps my opinion was expressed a bit coarsely, but only because there are 100's of threads on battery life already. And as ECUpirate pointed out, this "calibration" procedure does not affect the life of the battery - it only affects the accuracy of the reporting in the OS.

Thank you

9. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Where does it say, leave it alone and dead for at least 5 hours? I haven't read this anywhere on Apples site. I thought you charge it to 100% drain it until it shuts down. Leave it dead for some minutes then just fully recharge it.

10. spmiz12 thread starter macrumors regular

11. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

12. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It allows the cells in the battery to cool and settle

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios