Calibrating my battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Greenman85, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Greenman85 macrumors regular

Sorry, another battery thread here. I followed these instructions for my 2009 June MBP:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

I did all of the steps correctly except the last step. Instead of plugging my charger in and letting it charge full without using it I fully charged it while using it. Does this matter?

Also, my battery now shows 97% and says i have 6:03 left on my battery. I have a 2009 MBP. I thought we are supposed to get 7 or 8 hours out of it while using the internet on wifi? All I am running is Airport, Firefox, istat and smcfancontrol set at ~3700 rpm.

Any help explaing these conundrums is much appreciated, thanks!

2. Greenman85 thread starter macrumors regular

Also:

1. My battery time is jumping. One minute it says 5:13, then 5:30, then 5:50, now 6:08. These numbers all show within a minutes elapsed time.

2. If i did calibrate it wrong as described in my first post, should i restart the calibration process?

Thanks everyone for your help.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to watch your battery life like a hawk. It will vary up and down constantly, given the current load on the system. It's perfectly normal. Calibration has zero effect on battery life; it only improves the accuracy of the reported battery condition. Your battery is fine. Most users never see the advertised battery life. As long as you're "in the neighborhood", you're fine.

4. Greenman85 thread starter macrumors regular

ok sweet, but shouldnt i want it to read me the most accurate reading? should i recalibrate to achieve that effect? thx man

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're fine. You probably won't see any difference if you re-calibrate now. Just do it about once a month or so and you'll be fine.

6. Greenman85 thread starter macrumors regular

ok good deal. one last question so in the future i know how to properly calibrate. does it matter if on the last step of fully charging it up that i use it while charging? or should i let it fully charge while in sleep mode? thx and this should be my last query.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's fine to use it while it's recharging. The important part is that you let the battery fully discharge until the sleep light is no longer on, then leave it for a few hours before recharging.

8. Greenman85 thread starter macrumors regular

awesome. Thx again for your help. Just wanted to make sure I am taking care of my MBP correctly.