Calibrating the 15" late 2013 retina MacBook Pro display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by llmercll, Aug 15, 2014.

1. llmercll macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to calibrate the screen on my new retina notebook but running into some difficulties.

I bought a spyder 4 pro and i1dsiplay pro to see which one resulted in better colors. I also downloaded the 15' late 2013 retina macbook pro ICC profile from notebookcheck (which was just recently uploaded) in which they used a $1500 calibrator.

I calibrated using the i1 pro and datacolor spyder and generated 2 ICC profiles via the included software, which gave me a grand total of 3 ICC profiles.

The problem is, they are ALL different. The i1display pro is slightly warmer and appears more yellow. the spyder 3 looks slightly magenta red, and the ICC profile from notebookcheck looks a tad blue. They are all similar looking, and the uncritical eye may not tell a difference, but there are slight variations.

Out of all of them, the notebook check ICC profile looks the best to me when looking at white levels and my dock, but I know I shouldn't trust my naked eyes. On the other hand, colors seems to be more vibrant and pleasing to my eye with the i1display pro, but almost to the point where they seem too vibrant.

What should I do? Any advice would be very much appreciated!

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I use Spyder Pro 4 Elite on both the Retina screen and ATD screen. Before and after were virtually identical on our systems.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

What settings are you using on the devices? The same? The i1 measures more colours than the Spyder, so in theory should be the most accurate.

4. llmercll thread starter macrumors newbie

yup I'm doing it at 80 nits brightness (since i keep it low on my notebook), 2.2 gamma, wled, native contrast, slight ambient light but not direct.

thank you for such a fast reply, btw

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

D65
    2.2 Gamma
    120 brightness

Turn off ambient light settings and control the lighting in your room would be better.

6. llmercll thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i have the ambient lighting set up like that. there is a light on, but its not too bright and not directly on the screen. I'm not using any ambient light settings, I should have been cleaer on that.

I'm also using D65, forgot to mention.

Can I really not get away with 80 brightness though? I like to keep it low on my laptop.

Also, some more testing and critical viewing of photos has revealed that the spyder is inferior to the i1 pro. the shadow depth is lacking, gradients aren't as smooth, and the colors seem a bit off compared to the i1 pro and notebookcheck icc file.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

80 sounds too low to me. I'd try at least 100. Depends on the brightness in the room as to what you can get away with.