Calibrating the battery

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Hey,

in the macbook manual, under calibrating the battery, it says "after the machine goes to sleep, turn it off or let it sleep for 5 hours or longer".

Does that mean turn it off for 5 hours OR let it sleep for 5 hours

OR

does it mean turn it off (and presumably start charging it again) OR let it sleep for 5 hours, and then charge it.

Thanks.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I say, charge it fully, run it down to the point of it warning you, ignore and it will sleep itself. Leave that for 5 hours then start charging again.

It basically means when it is drained, either switch off and leave for 5 hours or let it sleep for 5 hours. Either way, do not have the mains connected for charging, let it rest on no power.

MoonCow

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2006
what happens if i got my macbook like 4 weeks ago and i still haven't done that yet?

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Nothing, just your battery may not perform at it's best over time. Apple recommend you do this from brand new and then repeat every month ideally. If you don't, again, performance tends to dip a little faster.

I personally often forget to continually do this, but I do keep an eye on the charge levels using Coconut Battery.