Calibration: Better in Safe Sleep mode or off?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sunsnewmac, Apr 27, 2007.

1. sunsnewmac macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

I'm calibrating for the first time. Is it better to shut off after the low bat warning or let sleep?
    Thx (it's almost there so quick responses pls!)

2. sunsnewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

ok well, my MB went to sleep after the low battery warning. The pulsating LED is still glowing, indicating that it is not off. Should I shut it off at this point or does it not matter? I'm sorry if this question is stupid but I'm concerned about my battery life after its capacity went down to 98% after just over a month of use, it drains very fast, and this is also the first time I have calibrated it.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've always just shut the lid and plugged it in because it's usually a good stopping point (gets me off the thing). I haven't had a problem in 2 years.

4. sunsnewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

Since I am calibrating the battery I will not be plugging it in for another 5+ hours. But from what you are saying it's fine (if not better?) just to let it sleep for those 5+ hours rather than shutting it off?

5. AVID macrumors member

AVID

My partner does the same, even though the apple support site says to let the battery drain, in reality, i dont think you can wait for the battery to drain while the computer is sleeping...(edit - takes too long) So she just plugs it in at that point.

6. sunsnewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

After it forced itself to sleep I shut the lid and let it rest. The glowing LED stopped after about an hour or so. Now I will let it sit unplugged (as per the instructions) for 5+ hours and then plug it in and recharge the battery. If I am missing something pls let me know!

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

The point of the thing is to drain the battery as far as possible, hopefully all the way to completely empty. If you don't drain the battery all the way, the calibration won't be as good as it could be. Just charge the battery all the way to full, and then shove a DVD in it, tell the computer to not go to sleep when inactive, set to better performance, and just let the DVD run before you go to bed, and leave it... By the time you get up in the morning, it should be ready to charge.

I imagine Apple figures it will take about 5 hours for the battery to drain the rest of the way.

And remember... Using the computer with the power plugged in all the time is bad. Letting the battery run at least almost all the way down, and then charging it back up again is great for it. Letting it run down a few percent before plugging it back in is incredibly bad for it.

8. sunsnewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

Well whatever I did worked like a charm. It only reached 98% capacity the day before I did this and now it's back up to 100%

I've heard different things re: using it plugged in -v- not. I use mine plugged in most of the time. I remember reading that was ok if not good for it.

9. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

running your laptop always plugged is ok as long as you remember to drain it empty once a month they say. i read that actually running your battery to 0 each time is whats bad for it. running your batteries to 0 each time before charging it is a thing of the past, it was for NImh bateries to avoid the 'memory' effect wich doesn't affect lithium batteries.

10. sunsnewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

A recent post on this forum says "If you primarily use your computer with the AC adapter attached and only infrequently use battery power, you can increase the lifespan of the battery by changing the charge thresholds. (to say max charge 70%, warn at 30%)"

is that true?

11. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

i read that too and i believe it's true.

12. marvel2 macrumors 6502

What is the name of this thread and why is it True?