Calibration - Interrupting charge?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blurb23, Jan 25, 2009.

1. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

I drained my iPod earlier today, and let it remain discharged for 5 hours.

I'm charging it now in order to finish up the calibration.

If I disconnect the iPod from charging, use it for a while, then recharge it again, will that mess up the calibration?

2. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Just an honest observation...can't you live without your Touch for a while? :)

I mean, at 1:37am in another thread you post wanting to drain your battery "as fast as possible" (and I was surprised how many replies you got at that hour :), now you want to use it while you were in re-calibration mode. Why not just let the darn thing charge and do something else for a while? :)

No offense intended, just puzzled.

3. blurb23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, good point.

The thing is, the battery drain was my friend, and the calibration thing is for another friend :p

I don't actually have a Touch yet... but I'm their go to guy for tech questions.

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

Hmm another irrelevant question: what do you mean when you say calibration?

5. blurb23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Drain the battery completely, let rest for at least 3-4 hours discharged, then recharge it the whole way.

Similar to calibrating laptop batteries.

6. Joetang macrumors member

hmm... i never heard of this before. What exactly does it do for the touch (and laptops for that matter)?

7. svndmvn Guest

the calibration, imo, would have a better effect if not bothered while charging, therefore no interruption..

8. synagence macrumors 6502a

The idea is that modern lith ion/poly batteries actually have processors inside to control the charge ... but batteries change over time ... while new batteries don't have the memory effect the calibration is meant to "teach" the controllers how much the battery is capable of ... and therefore reset the meter on the device so when it says 50% it actually is 50% of the current state.

I know the 1st few days after i got my iPhone the battery life was terrible until i did a few cycles but this i've have mixed results with

Although out of habit every few weeks i'll completely discharge the iphone and then do a full-recharge ... its meant to help

9. Joetang macrumors member

oh wow, i never realized that.. that's a pretty smart idea. I should start doing that. It's never too late to start or anything right? i've had my touch for about...4? 5? months now.

Thanks for the info btw =P