Calibre-converted ePub books crashing iTunes during sync?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NewSc2, Apr 3, 2010.

1. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

Not sure if this is the right place to put it, but I'm sure several of us are trying to upload books to the iPad.

I have some PDF books that I'd prefer reading through iBooks. Converted them to ePub format, but every time I try uploading them to the iPad it crashes at the end of the sync.

Is anybody doing this successfully?

2. bdizzle macrumors member

Just posted this exact problem with epubs I'm trying and still getting crashes. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

3. machacker macrumors regular

This is not my experience! I have converted two full series, about 30 books total with calibre. And they synced to iTunes wonderfully and then right on to my iPad. I love it.

I added all my books to iTunes a few days before iPad launch. Maybe that had something to do with it?

4. NewSc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Huh, that worked. I was dragging/dropping directly onto the iPad. Sticking it into iTunes first, then onto iPad works fine. Must be a bug.

5. bdizzle macrumors member

Wow...nevermind...worked flawlessy. Simply add to itunes first, then move to ipad.

6. diegodel macrumors newbie

Bump.

You guys worked with text based epubs? I ask you cause I used calibre twice with two comics. One in PFD and the other in the CBR format. Both were converted to ePub nicely by Calibre BUT...

Once i open them in iBook they have (both) an extra white page each time i turn the page. :( Any similar experience out there? Is there a known solution i'm missing?

Thank you.

7. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I tried converting some PDFs with calibre and it didn't format the tables correctly when viewing in the calibre reader before I got my iPad. How are things working now? What presets did you use? iBooks would be my preferred way of doing things rather than trying the various multi readers available.

Any advice?f

8. scrapple macrumors regular

scrapple

isnt their an app that basically takes PDFs into ipad?

9. NewSc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry to say, but haven't had much luck with epub books formatting correctly. Illustrations off, sentences with weird spacing, etc.

Goodreader views PDFs just fine though, with virtually the same functionality as iBooks.

10. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Does anyone know if the calibre author has or plans to get an iPad? He usually updates frequently...if he has the device in question.

11. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I converted some mobi books to epub, with all of calibre's settings set to the default, and they came out fine. I'm not sure if there's any difference when converting PDF's, but maybe try to not tweak any settings and see if that works.

12. jodorowsky00 macrumors regular

Comic reader mobi reads cbr, cbz, zip, rar and PDFs great, it worth 13 bucks but trust me it beats converting PDFs , I tried calibre and it's a horrible program, buggy, takes to much resources and the out come is always never near a PDF.

13. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Goodreader is supposedly great for PDF and costs a lot less than Mobi. (99c vs I think $14 or $15.)

14. Slava macrumors member

Slava

If you have Cinch running, try to upgrade to the latest version, it fixed iTunes crashing for me.