Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
So I am a bit confused here. I ordered from Verizon and the order confirmation email was such a disaster I did not even know what I was getting charged for until now.

I just got my receipt and was charged TWO separate taxes. One for CA local sales tax and one for CA state sales tax. For example: iPhone 7+ 128GB Total Taxes/Fees is CA Local Sales Tax $23.92 & CA State Sales Tax $54.37 = $78.29

Is this normal? I have never been charged two separate taxes for a device. I love how this was listed anywhere else on my confirmation email.

Just want to confirm if this is normal from Verizon? Does ordering from Apple do this for California buyers as well?

ojaian

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
No never seen it broke down like that. $78.29 divide by $869 = 9% . Is that your total tax rate for where you live?

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
No never seen it broke down like that. $78.29 divide by $869 = 9% . Is that your total tax rate for where you live?

Should be even less according to a quick google. But that possibility of being as high as 10% may be part of it.

"The California sales tax rate is currently 6.25%. However, California adds a mandatory local rate of 1.25% that increases the total state sales and use tax base to7.5%. Depending on local municipalities, the total tax rate can be as high at 10.0%. Food and prescription drugs are exempt from sales tax."

Reactions: tommysm

macblitz

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I got same charge from Verizon.

I don't see anything wrong since total is 9%.

Reactions: Texxy

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I got same charge from Verizon.

I don't see anything wrong since total is 9%.
Basically it's the state part and the local part, just split up to show how the total was arrived at (which is just a part that doesn't get shown to the customer in most cases).

Reactions: Texxy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.