California Oil Price Madness

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by coolwater, Jul 16, 2015.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

screenshot-www.orangecountygasprices.com 2015-07-16 13-40-29.png

The national average gas price keeps going down, but look what is happening in California. Crazy.

2. JackieInCo macrumors 601

It's up to about $2.74 at my local station as of last night here in Broomfield Colorado.

It's weird how the crude oil prices DO NOT affect the price we pay at the pump anymore.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Orange County only and no line for other counties, states, or even a simple national average. :mad:

Anyway, as I understand it, CA requires a special formulation for gasoline sold in state; perhaps this has something to do with the trend (if your claim is correct).

4. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I paid $2.34 a gallon when I filled up today at Costco. They are usually about 10-30 cents cheaper than other stations in the area.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

That certainly doesn't sound like CA.

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Nope, I'm in The Dallas area. I don't want to think about over $4 a gallon. I'm old enough to remember prices under a buck a gallon in the 80's.

7. Zenithal macrumors 601

LA county checking in. Premium is still roughly $3.25 at most gas stations around me and has been holding steady for over a month. Though this past winter was incredibly cheap to fill up my GL550.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I just did a quick calculation as we buy in £ and litres.
    I'm paying $7.31 a gallon.

Anybody want to complain now?

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They do, when the crude oil price goes up the price of gas goes up a bit faster, and then stays there when it goes down, and then goes up even more the next time crude goes up.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Compare that to the quality and quantity and frequency of public transportation options, and there's likely a fair bit to still complain.

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Not much use if you don't or can't use public transport though.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

We're at 5.92 for E10 in my little area of Germany

13. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

14. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Prices should be going down.

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 8.00.07 AM.png

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

People in the US love love love to complain about gas prices, often in complete ignorance of the fact that they tend to pay some of the cheapest prices worldwide.

It's quite common to encounter price gouging during the summer travel season.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like wondering about something pointlessly increasing in one region while decreasing in another is fairly valid, no matter how much cheaper it all might be in the overall sense than some other places across the world which have different variables involved and can have lower prices on other goods and services and better transportation systems in place to make up for higher costs elsewhere.

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Sorry, I had a really hard time reading that. If I understand you correctly though, I did not say it was unreasonable to wonder about certain trends. In my first post I expressed skepticism of the claim in the OP given the limited information presented, although I did offer a possible reason to investigate for an explanation.

As for people complaining about gas prices, well they do. Again that doesn't mean it isn't valid to wonder about the trends.:)

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seemed like that was basically what was being implied. But if not, then that's different. :)

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I think it's less that we complain about high gas prices and more that we complain about high CHANGES in gas prices.

A couple of weeks ago as I was going to work, a station near my home had gas for $2.32 per gallon. On my way home, it was $2.69 at the same station. That's an enormous jump for one day, and when you live in an area where having a car is a must, that's a difficult adjustment to make.

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yeesh, that's quite a sharp rise. Suspicious!

21. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Even throughout the mid to late 90's it hovered around a $1 a gallon. I remember filling up my 20 gallon tank for about $20 throughout the 90's. (in Upstate NY)

22. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I live in Alberta where I believe we produce 3% of the world oil. We are currently at $100.9/ltr. Can't complain since our dollar is taking a beating on the market right now. Think we are pretty lucky. When I first came to Alberta in the late 90's, it was $0.36.9/ltr.

Apple fanboy, do not know how you do it over there. I would own a motorcycle in the low CC,s or be looking for a moped. Those prices are insane. Guess we are blessed over here in NA.

23. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Toronto here and we are lucky if we are down to $1.199 / litre.

24. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Toronto and Vancouver usually sit around the same price. Was in Toronto in March to visit family and was not surprised that I paid about 20% more in price. Probably due to extra shipping cost to bring it inland. We travel to B.C. quite often and as soon as you cross the provincial border the prices increase.

25. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It happens a lot - it will spike typically around $0.20-0.30 in a single day, then slowly fall over the next two weeks or so. The price always rises faster than it falls, but a 10% rise in a single day seems pretty routine.