Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Hey all, I would really hate if it came to this, but I gotta have all my bases covered.

Exactly how does the California PC lemon law work? What do I have to go through to make a claim?
Again, I would prefer if it didn't come to this, but if I wanted to plug in a keyboard to get any work done I would've purchased a MacMini instead of a "flamin hot" MacBok Pro.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If it is anything like the Auto Lemon law, it would mean that it works and functions.

Something that is annoying, but works, isn't covered.

A computer that runs hot, will likely not be covered like the car that rattles and squeeks.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I don't think that any state has a "PC lemon law" ....

The auto lemon law more or less applies to cars that after repeated repairs simply do not function. You feeling like your MBP is too hot (it might be I don't know) .... and without any attempted repairs ... thats not even gonna qualify if it was a car.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Kwyjibo said:

The auto lemon law more or less applies to cars that after repeated repairs simply do not function. You feeling like your MBP is too hot (it might be I don't know) .... and without any attempted repairs ... thats not even gonna qualify if it was a car.
Even auto lemon laws don't apply to vehicles that work.

Even if the consumer is annoyed with, or doesn't like, how it might work.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Kwyjibo said:

Yes, Cali does.

I am on my second repair dispatch for the same problem. Thats why I'm asking.

As for weather its hot or not... I feel that its kind of pointless for Apple to even include a keyboard since its too hot for me to rest my hands on it.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
after doing a little research I stand corrected on the existence of the law ... the law looks vague and it looks like you need a lawyer who would specialize in that type of thing. Try researching a contact for exexcutive customer relations ...

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act might be what you're looking for, even though it's a federal and not state statute. Basically, if your product is found to be defective out of the box, and repairs have been attempted [I think at least 3 times on the same problem], then you can call it a lemon and either get a refund or replacement.

My advice: call up Apple, explain your situation, and document everything (when you called, to whom you spoke, etc etc) so you have a paper trail to follow.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Kwyjibo said:
after doing a little research I stand corrected on the existence of the law ... the law looks vague and it looks like you need a lawyer who would specialize in that type of thing. Try researching a contact for exexcutive customer relations ...
I have already spoken to executive consumer relations and according to them their records show that its working within spec. Because of this, all they can do is check it in for repairs... no replacement.

CorvusCamenarum That must be what I was thinking about. The 3 repairs-for-the-same-thing law. Do I need a lawyer to back up my claim, or (and I would imagine Apple to just honor it) do I just inform Apple that it is a lemon?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.