California Wildfires 2008

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by gauchogolfer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It's that time of year again for those of us in California. One year to the day from the Lake Cachuma fires in SB county, we've now got Goleta fires that are threatening my place of work and many millions of dollars in homes. I'm actually lucky to be up in Sonoma county, not having to breathe in all that smoke with a new baby, only to be confronted with Big Sur and Mendocino fires up here.

Is anyone here directly affected by the California wildfires?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

My aunt said that she's never seen the air so thick with smoke (but she's only a few miles from the fires), poor weather conditions this year too isn't it? she said alot about too many lightning storms and not enough rain....

She's been given the state of emergency, which is apparently good as then more water planes are sent over

3. mickey161 macrumors newbie

Should I cancel my vacation

Hello...

I was planning a vacation in a couple of weeks to California. I have always wanted to visit and now that I've been diagnosed with cancer for the second time, I'm thinking of doing some travelling.
    I have been watching CNN but that doesn't help me much since I don't really know the area.
    I was planning to fly to Vegas for a couple of days and then drive to Los Angeles and on to San Francisco along the coast.
    I heard that Big Sur has been evacuated so I don't know if doing this route is a good idea.
    Can anyone help me with any information? I would greatly appreciate it.

Asking from Toronto Canada

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Southern CA wildfire map.
    Northern CA wildfire map.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

"That time of year" seems to come earlier every year now. We're about 50 miles due west of the Goleta fire, but so far no smoke, just some haze. The fires of October of last year were far worse for our area.

For the time being at least, you won't want to try to try to drive SR1, at least not all the way through. It would be a shame to miss Big Sur. In a couple of weeks the situation is likely to be much improved.

6. carlgo macrumors 68000

The smoke from the Big Sur fire goes over my house as do the C130 transport planes, other aircraft and copters, all headed south to drop and then back over to fill up again. I live in Carmel Valley, parts of which are threatened.

Big Sur is shut down and evactuated. Highway 1 is closed, so you can't even drive down the coast. They are talking about the end of the month to open up again. The road, I am guessing, might be open sooner, but who knows. I wouldn't bet on it. You can come down from SF through Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel and about 20 miles down the coast before they turn you back. Might be worth doing that if you haven't seen any of this before.

I did recently drive up the Pacific Coast Highway from San Diego, but switched over to 101 for the trip up thru Santa Barbara, etc. The coastal cities along the PCH are pretty interesting, really, in a lot of ways. I once asked someone in Santa Barbara what the main industry was and he said it was being rich...

Anyone, you could come up the PCH, on to 101 and then turn off to the Monterey Peninsula, to the coast, and turn left and go down the coast like I suggested. Then, you could turn around and go up 1 to SF.

Or, you could go up 1 as far as possible. I am not exactly sure how far you can come up from the south, maybe to the Hearst Castle area, and then take 46W over to 101 and go north from there. 46 is gorgeous, goes through interesting wine country and is amazingly undeveloped at the west end. On 1, there are small towns like Cambria that are fun.

If you are willing to jump around like I suggested and realize that fires may change how far you can go, then that would be a fun trip.

Actually, 1 all the way through SF, across the Golden Gate bridge and up the coast all the way to Oregon is pretty nifty. The far north CA coastal towns have a hemp economy, so that is pretty interesting as well.

Vegas to all that is a big change for sure.

This will all make more sense when you plot it on a map.

Good luck with the meds. Been there.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well you'd have to since Pacific Coast Highway doesn't go through Santa Barbara. ;) It ends in Oxnard then doesn't resume until you get to Gaviota.

The newly wed and the nearly dead. That's the old joke about Santa Barbara.

8. mickey161 macrumors newbie

Thanks so much to the last two posts. I'm still wishy washy on what to do.
    I'm going to keep watching in the next week and see how it's going there...I've already ordered a trip ticket from AAA plotting the route.
    I'm disappointed...has always been a trip I've wanted to do.
    Just heard on CNN the big sur fire is expected to burn for the next few weeks.

Disappointed in Canada :(

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The fire may burn for weeks, but that doesn't mean that SR 1 won't reopen far sooner.

10. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

oh my goodness i remeber the santiago fire it was just terrible

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I can't believe the conditions today. 108 F and so much smoke you'd think the whole city was on fire. Even ground-level visibility is very poor (not to mention the entire sky is brown).

Sad thing is, I'm nowhere near the fires, so I'm sure others have it much worse. :(

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You must be getting the smoke from the fire near Chico.

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yeah, and apparently there are also quite a few in Placer county (depending on the wind, that may or may not be contributing to the smoke in my area).

Here's what it looks like in my neck of the woods:

Attached Files:

14. mickey161 macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your replies. I've decided to leave California for another trip.:(
    Now doing the Atlantic Coast instead. Hope things are getting better in California.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, the largest fires are now under control.