Call Failed Call Failed Call Failed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nein01, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

ok, i've gotten used to the occasional dropped call ever since I got an iphone 4 this xmas, but i'm having a serious issue now that i've never experienced before..

i've been sitting here trying to make a call to somebody, anybody, for about an hour, and it has consistently given me call failed errors before i even hear a ring. outside or inside same thing happens. i restarted my phone, same thing. i had someone call me instead, which worked, but after that i still can't make a call!

has anyone had this happen before? any clue what might be going on? my bill is paid.

:confused:

2. taskmanager macrumors regular

On my 3g on at&t I did, have yet to drop a call on the Verizon iphone 4.

3. zenio macrumors 6502

Call Failed means the network is busy. Any network. There are so many cell phones in the US now that once in awhile the networks are just too busy to handle all the traffic for a few seconds.

I've gotten this message on Verizon and Sprint. Just dial again.

If that doesn't' work, turn off your phone, or reset it. Then you are good to go.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I would only worry about it, if it does the same thing from different towers.

5. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

:confused:
    Based on your reasons why.... your above suggestion makes little to no sense.
    How can resetting or turning off and on your phone make any difference? This procedure isn't going to stop the network traffic from continuing.

6. Nein01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nein01

i still can't make calls. it's been like 4 hours... wtf.

it says call failed every time. i press "call back" and get the same thing, no matter how many times i try redialing.

7. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Try resetting your network settings. Go to settings > general > reset > reset network settings. Should fix your problem.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Do you have another cell phone, on the same network, that you can try?

9. diegoesk macrumors regular

Let me guess... you got dropped calls on your new vIphone?:D:apple::cool:

10. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Just for fun turn off 3G data restart the phone and try again.

11. AuburnApple macrumors member

This started happening on my iPhone at one time, and occasionally switching off 3G would allow me to make a call. When it kept happening one day I got fed up and took it to the Apple store. The Genius plugged it in to her diagnostic software and she could see all the failed calls. She gave me a new phone on the spot, and no problems since. She seemed to think it was a hardware problem with the radio causing the connection to fail.

12. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

My iPhone 4 has been flawless. But I had to have my iPhone 3GS replaced under warranty because of a constant "Call Failed" problem. The 3GS just started doing it suddenly and, from that point on, I couldn't initiate a call. I could receive calls, but not make an outgoing call. E-mail and all other data functions worked fine. I got an appointment at the Genius Bar the next day and they replaced the 3GS on the spot.

Mark

13. Nein01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nein01

Update

didn't work
    no, if you read the original post i mentioned that i've had this phone since xmas..
    wow, oddly enough that worked. my phone can now only make calls when 3G is turned off. does this mean i need a replacement? i should hope not. what's the fix for this?

14. patp Guest

take it to an apple store and have a genius bar tech take a look. This sounds like a hardware issue to me and they may replace the phone.

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Not odd at all. 2G and 3G have different coverage. If you can't make a 3G call when you think you should, try turning 3G off. It sounds like you were in a 3G dead spot.

16. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Does your data over 3G work in this area you can't make a phone call over 3G? If data doesn't work, it seems most definite that this would be a deadzone for 3G. But if data works over 3G, you just can't make a voice call, then it wounds more like a hardware issue with your phone.

17. Nein01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nein01

Update 2

so i took it to the apple store today and they told me it was a bad antenna. they gave me a replacement simple as that.

cool.

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts