Call Forwarding... advice needed (thanks in advance)...

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by frosty001, Dec 17, 2012.

1. frosty001 macrumors member

frosty001

Hi All,

Happy holiday's to one and all.

I need some basic advice. I am going away to Thailand for the holiday's. I wondered if I could use the Call Fwding feature on iOS to receive calls to a local sim..?

Does Call Fwding require your own Sim to be in the phone all the time, or could you set it up and remove the Sim, put a local sim in the phone, and let Call Fwding take care of it from there?

I have no idea if Call Fwding is a Sim / Carrier function or done locally on the phone - If it's the latter, then my idea of using a local sim to receive the calls won't work.

Help appreciated.

2. dextr3k macrumors 6502

If you set it up through your carrier, then it should be active no matter where you are, and whether your phone is on or not (I dont know if any/all carriers support international forwarding). However, if you set it up on your phone, your phone needs to be on and have network access in order to receive then forward your calls.

However, if you are traveling internationally, then people who call your phone, your account will forward to international number (if allowed by your carrier), which you will foot the bill for. So you should work out if its worth it to roam with your own number (in which you wouldn't need to forward period) or have international calls through your account.

3. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

I have never heard of a local call forward :confused:

All call forwarding (setup either via phone or calling the carrier) is effective on carrier side ...

If you setup "Always Call Forward" option , the calls will go to new number irrespective of your current phone/sim state