Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Not Young

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2018
Spain
I may be old, but I'm not stupid. I'm an Apple fan and use a 27" iMac, a MacBook and an iPad Mini. I've been using an iPhone 4s since it was released and the ONLY reason I was wanting to "upgrade" was so I'd be able to use a current IOS, which presumably will be more secure than IOS 9. Apple's latest iPhones are far too big, so I've bought an iPhone SE from a 3rd party supplier at a heavily discounted price. I'm happy with this, but disappointed that Apple has abandoned a significant minority - just as they did when they abandoned Aperture. My next iMac might be a PC.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I may be old, but I'm not stupid. I'm an Apple fan and use a 27" iMac, a MacBook and an iPad Mini. I've been using an iPhone 4s since it was released and the ONLY reason I was wanting to "upgrade" was so I'd be able to use a current IOS, which presumably will be more secure than IOS 9. Apple's latest iPhones are far too big, so I've bought an iPhone SE from a 3rd party supplier at a heavily discounted price. I'm happy with this, but disappointed that Apple has abandoned a significant minority - just as they did when they abandoned Aperture. My next iMac might be a PC.

The iPhone SE is still a plenty capable phone, even though Apple discontinued it. They A9 processor and two GB of RAM still make it a fairly decent experience with iOS 12 from reading reports. If you can find them discounted, it’s still a great buy.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

So....you’re going to change the computer you use because Apple discontinued a line of phones that had such low demand that they could no longer justify production?

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
I'd call you but I don't have your number Sir. :)

Jokes aside, I know your feeling.
It seems like a lot of us (Apple fan users) have had slightly higher expectations than Apple was able to deliver.
I am always trying to find a technical explanation for why some things were done the way they were done, but I'm not managing to understand what Apple is trying to achieve with current Macs...

Screaming out loud: Apple take my money! Make a Mac that is perfect out of the box.

Reactions: Not Young

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I have average sized hands and the se is cramped when it comes to texting. I don’t see how anyone can type on it with any precision. If texting worked on it for me, I would probably have one because there are some insane deals on them.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I wouldn’t call you a moron - the trend for a long time has been for phones that are effectively more portable iPads, suitable for streaming on the go etc. If you’re a user that just wants a phone doing phone functions, the SE was perfect.

But, it really would appear that the minority is now small enough that it’s not viable for Apple to produce a refresh of the SE.

Genuine question - did you give it a shot at holding and using the 4.7” devices? I have an iPhone 5s and an iPhone 7 right here. And while I acknowledge the size difference looks substantial when you place them side by the side, the narrower profile and different shape of of the iPhone 7 diminishes this hugely in the hand.

Not Young

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2018
Spain
I have average sized hands and the se is cramped when it comes to texting. I don’t see how anyone can type on it with any precision. If texting worked on it for me, I would probably have one because there are some insane deals on them.
I agree its difficult to type, but it fits in my pocket and, believe or not, I tend to use it as a phone.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I agree its difficult to type, but it fits in my pocket and, believe or not, I tend to use it as a phone.
I have moved my phone feature off of my “bottom 4” apps on every iPhone. I might make 1 or 2 voice calls per week. Voice calls are pretty much reserved for bills and customer service calls for me.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

Not Young

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2018
Spain
I wouldn’t call you a moron - the trend for a long time has been for phones that are effectively more portable iPads, suitable for streaming on the go etc. If you’re a user that just wants a phone doing phone functions, the SE was perfect.

But, it really would appear that the minority is now small enough that it’s not viable for Apple to produce a refresh of the SE.

Genuine question - did you give it a shot at holding and using the 4.7” devices? I have an iPhone 5s and an iPhone 7 right here. And while I acknowledge the size difference looks substantial when you place them side by the side, the narrower profile and different shape of of the iPhone 7 diminishes this hugely in the hand.
I did try the other sizes, but felt the price differential wasn't justified.
[doublepost=1538305308][/doublepost]
I have moved my phone feature off of my “bottom 4” apps on every iPhone. I might make 1 or 2 voice calls per week. Voice calls are pretty much reserved for bills and customer service calls for me.
Perhaps Apple should have two kinds of hand held devices; an iPhone and an iWhatsApp.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I did try the other sizes, but felt the price differential wasn't justified.
[doublepost=1538305308][/doublepost]
Perhaps Apple should have two kinds of hand held devices; an iPhone and an iWhatsApp.
No one in America uses WhatsApp because we all have affordable data.

Reactions: Not Young

LiveWireless

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2013
My SE has been my phone since launch day, i don't see that changing for a while yet. I bought the Xs Max for camera duty in the iOS eco-system. The camera and screen quality are nice upgrades to the SE no doubt. Still, my simm is in the SE, and i bought a new SE as a backup after buying the Xs Max. When i need a large screen i prefer an iPad or a computer. I also think the home key and touch-id are better and more practical. I could adjust to Face-ID if it unlocked right into the home screen or last app, but as it is it's a pain in the butt when it works, and a royal pain when it doesn't. Sometimes refined is better than new.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Judging from Apple’s iPhone price increases over the years. (msrp $599 to $649 to $699 and now $749 for the cheapest 2018 model iPhone) . I think Apple has abandon the “budget” price point. They know people are keeping their iPhones longer.

It’s all about profit motive. And small iPhones tend to have a limited consumer base. OP basically wants an A11 processor with 4 inch screen and same camera as 2017 iPhone. Apple would like to sell those phones for $499. But why? That would cannalbilize their $749 iPhone starting point.

And the profit margin on the 4 inch iPhone would be around $350? Figure it costs $150 to make 4 inch lcd iPhone with A11 processor.

But the $750 iPhone XR likely costs $250 to make. That’s $400 profit margin.

And we know the iPhone xs max costs around $450 to make. Apple sells
It for $1100. A nice tidy $650 profit margin.

It’s like the car manufacturers these days. Selling a regular Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic means much lower profit margin than selling a similar suv. Suv and trucks are much bigger profit margin to manufacturers.

Not Young

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2018
Spain
Top of the range iPhone costs more than than the base iMac. Someone with more patience than I could calculate the cost per kilogram for each. Would that offer a fair comparison?

Not Young

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2018
Spain
no. a ferrari will cost way more than a truck.
A Malaysian Sultan paid over $1M for a custom-built Super-Liner to tow his speed boat. It came with a kitchen, big screen TV and even a party deck. That's double the price of a Ferrari.

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
A Malaysian Sultan paid over $1M for a custom-built Super-Liner to tow his speed boat. It came with a kitchen, big screen TV and even a party deck. That's double the price of a Ferrari.

er ya. my point exactly. why are you comparing macs and iphones or super-liner vs ferrari vs truck?

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Good. So what's the point here again? You bought an iPhone SE yet suddenly you want to change your iMac to a PC? :huh: :shrug:

Reactions: arkitect

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Call Me A Moron
Nothing in your rant against huge, expensive iPhones justifies buying a Windows PC. The introduction price for the iPhone SE was $399 for a measly 16GB version and $499 for 64GB. That’s not too far from the $749 iPhone XR with 64GB and a much more modern design. I dislike huge phones as much as anyone, but there is a reason the market is moving in that direction. You can’t blame Apple for the preference of the vast majority of customers for bigger screens with smaller bezels.

I like big screens and I can not lie ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: decafjava
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.