Call me crazy but can Automator do this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NStocks, Jul 19, 2010.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

Hi,

So I'm studying Architecture and I go through at least 3 programs in order to create and print my page.

For EACH page from the CAD program I have to:

Save as PDF from CAD (file> Export)

Open the PDF file in Illustrator then save as PDF. The reason for this is because the CAD program for some reason doesn't always make every black line 100% black... very strange. (yes I'm exporting as B&W)

Open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat, set the page up as A2, then crop the page down to A3 size. The reason for doing this is because I always export from CAD as 1 page larger than print. This is because it automatically puts a Education logo on the page after export, so by making it 1 page size bigger i.e an A3 print will be exported as A2 to cut off the logo.

Finally from Acrobat I print.

So what I want to know is:

Can I open the exported PDF file (from CAD) to automatically open with AI, then save as PDF then automatically open with Acrobat?

This means it has to automatically open applications and simple commands like save as.

It may not seem like many steps but when your printing literally a few hundreds of pages a year, it take up quite a lot of time.

Of course I've never used Automator so I'm not sure of what it can do exactly.

Thank You.

2. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

3. reLAXER564 macrumors member

reLAXER564