Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
I’ll get straight to the point. I think the original AirPods (2nd generation) are still great.
Ok, let me explain.
Like most of you, I have used the AirPods for years. I upgraded to the AirPods pro when they launched and have been using them exclusively since. I gave my original AirPods to my daughter.
This weekend I had to borrow my AirPods for a little while, and man, it was like returning to an old friend.
For classical music and more “serious” listening in a quiet environment, I think the original AirPods do a better job than the Pro. There are lots of headphones more suitable for that kind of listening, but keeping in mind that these are just tiny AirPods, they do a fantastic job. Of course, with more bass heavy music or on a train or a bus, the NC of the APP are superior. But, putting on my AirPods, it felt more like listening to a speaker. It’s like they have more air and space to them - even a bit wider soundstage. Combined with how light they are and the fact that they don’t go deep in to the ear canal, I found them to be quite brilliant.
Now, I want to pick up a new pair of AirPods for myself again. Has anybody else felt the same way, or am I going crazy?
I think that the two AirPods models complement each other, and that they have different uses. And having one doesn’t rule out having the other as well. Does anyone agree?

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
I’ll get straight to the point. I think the original AirPods (2nd generation) are still great.
Ok, let me explain.
Like most of you, I have used the AirPods for years. I upgraded to the AirPods pro when they launched and have been using them exclusively since. I gave my original AirPods to my daughter.
This weekend I had to borrow my AirPods for a little while, and man, it was like returning to an old friend.
For classical music and more “serious” listening in a quiet environment, I think the original AirPods do a better job than the Pro. There are lots of headphones more suitable for that kind of listening, but keeping in mind that these are just tiny AirPods, they do a fantastic job. Of course, with more bass heavy music or on a train or a bus, the NC of the APP are superior. But, putting on my AirPods, it felt more like listening to a speaker. It’s like they have more air and space to them - even a bit wider soundstage. Combined with how light they are and the fact that they don’t go deep in to the ear canal, I found them to be quite brilliant.
Now, I want to pick up a new pair of AirPods for myself again. Has anybody else felt the same way, or am I going crazy?
I think that the two AirPods models complement each other, and that they have different uses. And having one doesn’t rule out having the other as well. Does anyone agree?

I agree that the regular AirPods sound a little better-- they have more air and presence. But my use case for portable earphones necessitates that they have at least noise isolation like regular IEMs. The NC on the Pro is a nice bonus.

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
I might have spoken too soon.. borrowed my old AirPods while walking this evening, and I soon missed the APP... I had forgotten all the noise of the traffic that used to bother me, and the fact that the bass seems to disappear outdoors.. guess the APPs is a better option for me.. but indoors in a quiet enviroment, I still quite enjoy my AirPods 2.. just don’t know if I can justify buying a new pair.. oh well, thanks for your opinions, and more opinions on the AP2 vs APP is very much appreciated :)

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I agree. I have both the AirPods 2 with wireless case and the AirPods Pro. I use the AirPods 2 way more. Mainly because the AirPods Pro keep falling out of my ear and that makes them pretty annoying.

Reactions: Telesmurfen

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Yes, it is a tricky one, as we all have different hearing, ear anatomy and use patterns.

I have recently moved from my “barbaric” (according to this Forum) in-ear Skullcandy back to the AirPods, so tried both AP2 and APP at the Apple store. Having read/watched tons of reviews beforehand and moving from another set of the in-ear ones, my mind was pretty much set on getting the APP, yet my ears had a different plan. ? I tried the AP2 first and then switched to the APP. To my big surprise, I found AP2 sound much louder and crispier at the same volume. The sound coming from the APP was resembling hearing something more “enveloped” or “cushioned”, as if it was coming from a tube or a jar, making it less “alive” as a result. I did try all three modes with APP - ANC, Transparency and Nothing, with Nothing sounding probably the best for me, yet still not as crisp as the AP2. I also found the ANC function unnatural, as in real life we always hear some sounds/noises of different degrees. Even at a concert, the point is that the sound of the performers/bands just overpowers other sounds with the volume, coming to the forefront, rather then cuts them all out altogether.

The shop assistant I spoke to said she personally did not like the feeling of the APP in her ear canals, so kept her AP2 too. She was also using the in-ear ones before. She did also mention that some people needed to use different-sized APP tips in their left and right ear to ensure an optimal fit.

My personal use for the AP is having something light at hand that I can easily pop in to answer a call or watch/hear something without disturbing the others around me and for that the AP2 do a wonderful job for me. ?

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Yes, it is a tricky one, as we all have different hearing, ear anatomy and use patterns.

I have recently moved from my “barbaric” (according to this Forum) in-ear Skullcandy back to the AirPods, so tried both AP2 and APP at the Apple store. Having read/watched tons of reviews beforehand and moving from another set of the in-ear ones, my mind was pretty much set on getting the APP, yet my ears had a different plan. ? I tried the AP2 first and then switched to the APP. To my big surprise, I found AP2 sound much louder and crispier at the same volume. The sound coming from the APP was resembling hearing something more “enveloped” or “cushioned”, as if it was coming from a tube or a jar, making it less “alive” as a result. I did try all three modes with APP - ANC, Transparency and Nothing, with Nothing sounding probably the best for me, yet still not as crisp as the AP2. I also found the ANC function unnatural, as in real life we always hear some sounds/noises of different degrees. Even at a concert, the point is that the sound of the performers/bands just overpowers other sounds with the volume, coming to the forefront, rather then cuts them all out altogether.

The shop assistant I spoke to said she personally did not like the feeling of the APP in her ear canals, so kept her AP2 too. She was also using the in-ear ones before. She did also mention that some people needed to use different-sized APP tips in their left and right ear to ensure an optimal fit.

My personal use for the AP is having something light at hand that I can easily pop in to answer a call or watch/hear something without disturbing the others around me and for that the AP2 do a wonderful job for me. ?
Yes, I think you describe it well, when you call it louder and crispier. The AP2 seems to have a “brighter” sound that matches some music better than the APPs. The darker sound signature of the APPs can make some music sound trapped or lifeless. But with other genres, they really shine. As for the best all rounder, it’s hard to tell. I’m curious to see if a firmware update can make either model sound even better.

Reactions: one more

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I might have spoken too soon.. borrowed my old AirPods while walking this evening, and I soon missed the APP... I had forgotten all the noise of the traffic that used to bother me, and the fact that the bass seems to disappear outdoors.. guess the APPs is a better option for me.. but indoors in a quiet enviroment, I still quite enjoy my AirPods 2.. just don’t know if I can justify buying a new pair.. oh well, thanks for your opinions, and more opinions on the AP2 vs APP is very much appreciated :)

seems like many of us are needing Apple to grant us a synergy between the two.

personally I like the beam forming microphones of the AP/APv2’s but I prefer the sound and ANC an ambience of the APP. Looking forward to version 2 of the APP’s

Fatboy71

macrumors 65832
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I tried the AirPods and the brief time they would stay put in my ears, they sounded mediocre at best.

I got the AirPods Pro when they were first released (due to them having sizing customisation) and for me they are leagues ahead in the sound quality department (over the normal AirPods) and also in general the best totally wireless earphones I've owned.

Previous to getting the AirPods Pro I had the Bose Sound Free, B&O E8, and the AirPods Pro sound better for me than these two. And also the AirPods Pro connectivity is bullet proof and reliable in my experience. Unlike the Bose and the B&O which would disconnect briefly on one of the earpieces and also when watching video with these, there was lip sync issues when watching video. Whereas the the AirPods Pro, the lips and speech are perfectly in sync.

I've owned the AirPods Pro since release day and used them nearly every day since, and I have not had a single disconnection or stutter in the music playback.

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
The AirPods Pro perform very well, especially while moving about during the day. At my desk I’ll alternate the APP with my Shure se535 earphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.