Call me Crazy, thoughts about cases/sleeves/etc. Need help...

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by nutsnbolts, May 10, 2010.

1. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

Here is how I have approached everything I need protection from (iphone/itouch/etc.)

1. Hard shell case. (Clear, color, whatever).

Considered to be slim, doesn't bulk the device and essentially to prevent direct scratches and bumps to the device. They obviously come in all assortments where, things can unhinge to allow charging through cable or clean cut outs for the controls.

2. Complete casing (something like otterbox) currently doesn't have one but something similar that completely covers the device.

This is one tends to give you overall full protection but it's not elegant. It can be bulky and definitely not meeting room friendly.

3. Sleeves

No protection unless it's in the sleeves and doesn't usually allow use of the device within the sleeves. Great to use if you are packing in a bag/travelling and not having to take it out but just to give it a comforting place to put away.

4. Rubber/Gel casings

Basically a condom over the device. Nice stretchy material and helps protect your device. Not always the most pleasant and elegant looking but it does the job.

5. Folios

Comes in different styles, meeting/professional friendly and usually has a cover like a book. Good thing about it is that some comes with the ability to use it as a stand, etc. Usually using these doesn't allow you to use any of the clear/rubber cases mentioned above. 9 out of 10 times, if dropped, you can expect to not have full coverage. Either way damage is damage, even if you use any of the items above. Depends on how much damage you can expect.

6. Skins

Skins??!?!? LoL, basically something like zagg shield that has this clear material like film that can cover your device. Doesn't really protect from drops (then again, all of the cases doesn't completely protect from drops) but main purpose is to prevent scratches. Pros: it keeps it low profile without the bulk of any case.

Now...did I miss anything?

I think this generally sums up everything that is out there. I'm sure I missed soemthing that is unique that I didn't mention but my point in this post is I'm looking for a hardshell that allows stand capability.

Anything out there that fits this bill?

Basically a hybrid of the two or three that I mentioned above?

I'm really liking the Speck Candyshell but then I would also like a protection when I put it in my murse. A sleeve seems to be the way to go but then that means it's not as easily accessible.

I also thought I saw somewhere a cover for the front of the device that detaches and attaches that is hard case.

Anyone can make suggestions that kind of fits this bill?

I like to have a folio with a stand but at this point, I don't think there is one completely like that out there.

2. Mshilling macrumors regular

3. Formul macrumors member

maybe you're crazy, but i'm as well ... i already have hardshell and skin on the way .. and still thinking about folio and sleeve :( tough choice really

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I bought the Apple case. For the outrageous price of $40, they at least have put some effort into making a well designed case that has some interesting functionality and innovation.

I compare that to the outrageous $40 InCase is charging for an ill-fitting neoprene sleeve that is no different than the sleeves they have been churning out for years, so I'm not too concerned about their R&D costs.

5. seattlecard macrumors member

At the end of the day, the Apple case is the only way to go. IMHO.

6. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

I like the Marware Eco-Flip a lot. I have the Apple case, too, but it gets gross and dirty fast.

7. steel magnolia macrumors regular

You aren't crazy, but I think I am headed that way! I have the Apple case,(that was 40 bucks), have the Belkin Grip Vue,(that was 50 bucks), and have the SwitchEasy Nude,(another 30 plus bucks) on the way.

To make me even crazier....I am still looking at cases online! I hope to just fall in love with a case soon or I'm gonna go broke :D

Patty

8. pat3ck macrumors newbie

There's really a lot of iPad cases to choose from. Sometimes it just depends on your preference really.

Right now, I'm looking at Quirky Cloak and can't wait for the release on May 31.

9. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

I think it depends on how you use the device + past history with other portable devices. For me, this thing will live inside the house most of its life + I just don't believe in the idea that it will be dropped. Let me explain -

I've dropped just about every phone I've owned once or twice, but I've never dropped a laptop (and I actually do carry them around quite a bit, like a book without a case). Phones are dropped almost entirely upon the moment I pull them out of my pocket. That use case just isn't there with the iPad - all in all, it's handled like a laptop. It seems there are alot of people who automatically believe in the need for a case because they just do what they did with their iPhone/Touch. Yes, people will drop and destroy their iPads, but I would be surprised if that group isn't a small fraction of those who lose their phones - I think I've only seen one or two "OMG I dropped my iPad threads" so far. So give that consideration first.

Secondly, this is a piece of industrial art. While some cases look quite cool, IMO just about anything you put on it detracts from its natural aesthetic and feel. I put on a BSE on the back just for scratch protection, and most of the time that's all it has. After a week without a stand it was driving me crazy - I had played with the Apple case and I really dug its utility, but it was difficult to insert/remove the device. The MacAlly bookstand appeared to fit the bill, same functionality but total cake to put and on take off, and it provides some protection when roaming outside the house or stuffing in another bag.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The damn shame is that the iPad feels so fantastic with my hands groping her naked aluminum back. But while she is a joy to behold, she is equally fragile. Even a small scratch on her would be like a scar on Liv Tyler's cheek. Sorry beauty is skin deep.

So what to do? I scoured the earth for a reasonable solution, but there is none. There is no happy medium. No birth control or morning after pill. No IUD. You either man up & play Russian Roulette, risking scratch or scuff for that elegant metal on skin feel, or you back down and hide your beauty in an case only someone into BDSM would get turned on by.

11. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

Ironically, like all new products that I have purchased, whether it be shoes, clothes, gadgets, etc., give it some time and you start to man handle it a bit more and the scratches and little bruises becomes easier to absorb.

Right now, you're right, I love the feel of the naked aluminum back and sliding my finger in the pristine glass. But...

it is so fragile.