Call me crazy...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by d0vr, Jun 15, 2011.

1. d0vr macrumors 6502a

Call me crazy, but I would have expected my $2.5k purchase to perhaps perform better than my cheap windows 7 netbook rather than on par?

I have a 2011 MBP and so far I've only been using it for every day tasks like browsing (Firefox if it matters) checking mail, IM, and the occasional fire up of CS5 (Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Photoshop mainly).

It's soooo slow and slugish and often likes to just hang on me. Am I the only one with this problem? Lately, firefox has just been sitting on 100% of a CPU if I try to play any video (youtube especially). And often menu's freeze. I don't understand.

Any thoughts? Anyone?

2. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

3. d0vr thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't believe Chrome to be superior sorry.

Just to be clear that I am not trying to start a browser war - I switched to FF because I noticed it in Safari. I also have trouble starting up most applications, and hang in all IM clients I use. Let's not get into bigger resource consuming software. :)

Any other thoughts that aren't switch browser?

4. SpitUK macrumors 6502

That is not right. I have heard of this before and after a replacement things were super speedy again. Its something to do with the thermal management throttling the performace.

5. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Get it fixed by apple. Obviously it is broken.

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Something isnt right at all, call apple or return it.

8. 482214 macrumors 6502

9. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

If you don't believe Firefox to be the sole culprit, then something must be wrong with the hardware. I own a 2011 Core i5 13" MBP, and it certainly has no problems streaming live.twit.tv and simultaneously playing a youtube video in Chrome, as well as having 5 other tabs open; while having Word, Powerpoint, iTunes, Twitter, Sparrow, and sArchiver open and running in the background. Even so, it doesn't seem to use above 28% CPU.

Take it in to the Apple store and let them check it out.

Attached Files:

10. d0vr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Firefox is usually using about 20% of a core from memory (a bit I suppose, but the right tool is different for everyone) for anyone interested.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I have made the call today and they agreed something isn't right. As a few of the things going wrong use internet and the internet has been going slow/not working (regardless of browser - safari/chrome and FF) they suggested I call my ISP first and get them to do something.

I'm also going to run a hardware test on loop tonight. If that finds nothing I might try a format and reinstall of the software I actually use. Then it's time for another trip to my local apple store.

I love apple products. :|

PS. @gorskiegangsta Nice to know that a 13" is capable of running all that as I'm thinking of getting one for the missus. Do you think it's powerful enough for something like several CS5 applications running?

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Your computer may be messed up, but Firefox sure isn't helping it. I moved away from Firefox months ago and I feel like I've breathed new life into my MBP. That browser takes up way too much RAM these days.