call me dumbski but...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dtklamf, Feb 20, 2008.

1. dtklamf macrumors regular

ok i just got my first intel mac today(blackbook ect ect)
    now im going to try parralels and fusion to run XP
    my question is do i need to install some antivirus software on my windoze installations ?

2. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

Yes, I think it would be a (very) good idea to install anti-virus / anti-spyware software in your XP virtual machine.

3. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Yes I would recommend it. But if you only use windows to do use certain programs then it might not be necessary. I assume that people who use parallels don't browse the internet or check email using windows xp when they can just do it safely in os x. AS and AV program do take up a lot of unnecessary resources which in turn becomes stress on the CPU.

-JoE

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Depends on how much of a klutz you are. :3

I watch where I go, and only download from trusted sources and scan the file before opening. Dont have any anti-virus software installed running in the background.

Havent gotten a virus in years.

5. stomer macrumors 6502a

With VMware you can take snapshots, so if you do get a virus you can just revert back to an old snapshot. Personally, I don't bother running an anti-virus.

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Dumbski. Well you did ask...

It's a good idea to run an anti-virus, but I certainly wouldn't pay for one. Just throw some free one on there (Avast! or AVG) and be done with it.

7. dtklamf thread starter macrumors regular

after using soulseek on a pc at work I liked it better than the mac version so thats all i use it for actually so thanks for the information.

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The licensed version of Parallels comes with Kapersky, which is about as non-annoying as an antivirus gets, but you have to pay to renew the subscription after six months. I haven't, as it never quarantined a single thing, meaning either I'm a safe user or it's a useless program...