Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superman666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I have boughten COD 2 for the PC, and have the cdkey installed on another windows computer. And I was thinking of some way I could get it for mac instead without paying. My friend said he would lend me his COD2 Mac Cd's. So what would happen if i used the CDKEY i already own on the Mac installation? Would I have to uninstall it from the windows PC first? Would this work?

Thanks

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
This would work...but you can't play both computers(multiplayer) at the same time on the same server if the server is punkbusted. Not sure about separate servers. Probably if they both were punkbusted it wouldn't work.

superman666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
As long as it would work just on my Mac that would be great. I won't play it at the same time ;) Thanks for the responce

superman666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Ok sorry for reposting but I installed it, than applied a 1.3 patch and stuff. I can play online and stuff, but it runs terribly. I have the new 2.4GHZ MBP, and I thought it would play amazing. It runs like crap, it's kind of choppy, ect. Is the game not UB or something?

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
Ok sorry for reposting but I installed it, than applied a 1.3 patch and stuff. I can play online and stuff, but it runs terribly. I have the new 2.4GHZ MBP, and I thought it would play amazing. It runs like crap, it's kind of choppy, ect. Is the game not UB or something?

I was unhappy with COD2 performance on my C2D MBP also (I don't run Windows on my machines, so we're talking about the UB Mac version of COD2.) Framerate was so poor I got motion sickness.

Runs great on my last-gen iMac.

If anyone has any tips regarding settings to make COD2 run decently on a SR MBP I'd be glad to see them.

superman666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Oh, i don't have the C2D, i have the intel MBP. Very upset about the performance though...

superman666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Ok something is VERY WRONG here. I have a brand new Intel MBP 2.4GHZ, 2GB Ram, and all that... and Cod 2 is running really choppy, about 30-40 fps. I'm sure there are others with this problem? Any odd performance tweaks I can use??!

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
what settings do you have it on?

I have a Quad G5 tower with X1900 GPU. It runs pretty good until I turn on HDR mode...then it slows down a bit. I have it on 1920 x 1200 and I have to check my other settings.

for a little performance boost...in the in-game control panel type in:

/com_maxfps 1000

and

/com_hunkmegs 512

not sure if they'll help you out tremendously but i think it does help a little, if any...

happy playing... go to ArmedRodents server...it's the best

superman666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I have it on the highest resolution, with default rendering and all that. Even if i lower the resolution, its still pretty bad. The only rendering options i have are 'Auto, Normal, and Highest' or something like that.

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
Ok something is VERY WRONG here. I have a brand new Intel MBP 2.4GHZ, 2GB Ram, and all that... and Cod 2 is running really choppy, about 30-40 fps. I'm sure there are others with this problem? Any odd performance tweaks I can use??!

Ugh, it's been known ever since the SR MBPs were released that they suck while playing CoD2. I myself have posted a great deal about this problem. Essentially, it is an issue with the graphics drivers Apple wrote for the 8600 series cards used in the new MBPs. They are the absolute worst video drivers I've ever experienced on a Mac. In the past few months, Apple has released a few graphics-related updates via Software Update, and they've slightly helped. If you recently purchased your MBP, you probably already have these updates installed. If you don't, a quick Software Update check will install them.

Initially, my problem was that the game was so incredibly laggy/choppy that it was impossible to play. I was getting framerates of ~40 FPS with medium settings under 1024x768. Quite frankly, that's pathetic, given the MBP's specs. Despite the 40 FPS reading, the video had a laggy quality to it, and I could notice it was slower than NTSC video (29.97 FPS). I tried messing around with all the settings, then eventually gave up. I've complained to Aspyr regarding the issue, and I believe they stated that CoD2 is currently not supported on the new MBPs until a driver fix is released.

In addition to CoD2, I've noticed a number of other games including Civilization IV, X-Plane, Star Wars KOTOR, etc. have been laggy with graphics. It really gets annoying, so I've resorted to playing other games under XP until a fix is released.

On a side note, buying the PC version of any game and using that serial with the Mac version is legally the equivalent to piracy. As I've commented many times before, it's a simple matter of where the money goes. Activision et al. was paid for your copy of CoD2, while the Mac version was produced by Aspyr Media. As such, for you to use the Mac version of CoD2, you would first have to purchase the Mac version. When the EA games using Cider are released, it will be a different story, as both versions of the game are produced by the same company.

superman666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Lag, thanks alot for responding, I now have a better understanding. I didn't realize that it would be that illegal undergoing the cod2 method. So what your saying is, i'm screwed until apple releases better drivers?

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
Lag, thanks alot for responding, I now have a better understanding. I didn't realize that it would be that illegal undergoing the cod2 method. So what your saying is, i'm screwed until apple releases better drivers?

In a nutshell, yes. Otherwise, play it under Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.