Call Of Duty 4 - Choppy Gameplay

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by knp9, May 28, 2009.

1. knp9 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I recently acquired CoD4 and have everything updated (1.7). The game is installed on my 2007 MBP (2.2GHz, 8600M GT, 4gb RAM). I have been having issues where when playing multiplayer (I do not play singleplayer so I'm not sure whether or not the same problem occurs), the game gets VERY choppy. It gets to a point where I cannot even play and this occurs only about a minute into a game. I checked the fan speed and it will run at >6000RPM. I checked Activity Monitor and the game utilizes about 1.76GB of virtual memory.

Unlike CoD2, there is no option to run the game under Rosetta, so I cannot figure out a solution for this problem. Any help will be appreciated!

2. barrett092 macrumors newbie

Same thing happens to me and I've got a 2008 MBP.

3. knp9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you found any solutions to this problem?

4. Brad Oliver macrumors regular

There's a 1.7.1 patch. Have you installed that? Also, what map(s) and how many player(s)?

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I've got the Windows version, it uses no virtual memory in Boot Camp.

I'm assuming you're using OS X?

6. knp9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, CoD4 is installed on Mac OS X (10.5.6).

I have not installed the 1.7.1 patch yet, but I will give it a shot.

I never really kept track of what map, but I noticed in certain servers it will become very choppy and others, very minimal or none at all...so I'm really not sure what the cause is as my ping is always under 80 in the USA servers I play in.

7. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

Well other than internet lag the only other thing I can think of is maybe something with your hardware. But like you said, you haven't played single player so you have nothing to check. If I were you I'd suck it up and play for 15-20 min and see if it is choppy still. If it is, then you can assume its hardware (or game itself) related. Otherwise its probably your connection.

8. Brad Oliver macrumors regular

Next time you notice it, make a mental note of the map you're on and the number of players and post back here.