Call of Duty 4 MacBook Pro performance

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by design-is, Jan 2, 2008.

1. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Hi all,

Wasn't sure if I should be posting this in the 'games' or 'windows on mac' section, so sorry if wrong.

I am planning on getting a maxed out MBP when cash allows:

2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    200GB Serial ATA drive (7200rpm)
    MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Widescreen Display

with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM.

And after searching the forum and a little googling, can't find out if CoD4 runs well and if so through what method.

Am I right in thinking that bootcamp is the only real option to play windows games on mac hardware and that parallels etc can't take it?

Also, will I be able to have all the settings on maximum or is a MBP just not good enough inside?

If anyone has any ideas or experience of this any info would be great.

Thanks very much!

2. ilkevinli macrumors 6502

ilkevinli

I haven't installed COD4 on my MacBook Pro so I can't comment on that. However, using bootcamp to play games will give you the best performance.

3. Ray22 macrumors newbie

Hi. I've got a 15" MBP last generation, with 2.4 ghz core 2 duo instead of the one you say. I play CoD4 maxed out at 1200x800 with no problems when online, and with some issues with the fps only when there are too many npc's on screen in the single player campaign.

If you search youtube, you'll see a video of CoD4 running in bootcamp. BTW, the specifications might change after Macworld expo, MBP will get an upgrade at least in the processors, using penryn from there on, so it should run quite better.

On the other hand, I'd say it's better you bought the 15" MBP, as otherwise, if you want to game with it, you'll get some blur due to playing on low resolutions in a high resolution screen. Also, remember 15" MBP has LED backlight, while 17" one doesn't.

Hope it helps ;)

4. ExTinCion macrumors newbie

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

COD 4 works great. Once in awhile (say 30 minutes?) it would slow down for about half a second during single player when there are lots of NPCs, completely playable though. Image quality is pretty amazing.

MBP 17" Santa Rosa, 2gb, 2.4ghz, 160gb 5400 rpm.

I wonder if 7200 rpm drives would do better?
    Next step, hooking it up to a 50" HD TV...

6. ExTinCion macrumors newbie

Does anybody know if it works on crossover mac?

7. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

i could never get it to work on my nonsanta rose MBP. it complained about my video card.

8. design-is thread starter macrumors 65816

design-is

Thank you all for your help/advice!

Very helpful - sounds like there shouldn't be any obstacles for my gaming pleasure lol

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'd go for the 15". The graphics card in the 17" will struggle to run the lower-res display at full res, let alone the super-duper HD one.

The 15" should run it at full res without any major slowdowns, it'll definitely run it at 1200 x 800 as others have said.

10. writeous macrumors regular

I just beat this game litearly two days ago on my 2.2 ghz MBP with 4gbs of ram on Windows XP. I was running it on 800 x 600 almost the whole time cause forgot the change the settings . It stil looked amazing then, and even better when I bumped it to 1064. I didnt go pass that though cause I thought that
    anything more would effect the fps massively, but judging from everyone else;s respons, I guess it doesnt. It doesnt work with the xbox360 controller by the way. Had to use a program to play it with it.

11. wezman2k macrumors newbie

i have the 2.4ghz 15" display and 2gb of ram instead of 4. 1440x900 seems to ok with anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering off, but it always seems to skip for a second right when i engage in combat.

at 1280x800 it runs flawlessly. i'm just not sure if im doing something wrong or if there is a setting i'm missing in order to get it to run better at the full resolution.

any suggestions?

12. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

What drivers are you running? The ones that came with Leopard?

13. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

can you use other drivers??
    ive just installed boot camp and im scared to alter drivers on the windows side

14. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Yes, you can install other video card drivers. The ones from Apple are pretty outdated, and outdated drivers can cause problems in games released after the release of the drivers.

15. wildmilne macrumors regular

I can't install COD 4 or Crysis ona brand new Penryn Macbook pro. They both freeze half way through...is there any issue with dual layer discs not being able to read? its very quiet and very slow..and then eventually wont find files and its done. Any ideas?

I did install the demo's of both to test performance...its a bit jerky at 1024 x ..., playable but not smooth...crysis at medium settings with similar resolution played better and looked better. I tried messing with some settings on COD 4 for the graphic quality but still wasnt super smooth.

16. greekpaz22 macrumors regular

So, I got a brand new MBP, 15inch, 2.4 GHZ, 200 GB, 8600 GT 256MB video card and upgraded to 4GB of ram...

COD 4 runs fine at 1440x900, with all features turned on except for the one that parses all the frames together...

with that i get between 45-75 fps, depending on how much action i've got on the screen..so just get it, run the game in bootcamp and you'll be happy :D

17. shirazik macrumors newbie

Did you try the demo before you bought it?

I have the SAME laptop (exception with HD size) and I have the demo on bootcamp and I cant get passed 35 fps on 1024x720...

What do you suggest? Do you think the demo is just sluggish?

PS: what drivers are you running?

18. autacraft Guest

Just my two cents:

My spec is:

17" core i7, 4gb ram and 500gb 7200rpm drive

I just want to say COD4 absolutely FLYS on this thing at the highest setting of everything! Its incredible, no lag at all and totally fluid - its like the game was built for it and it runs like a console.

on the 1920 x 1200 res screen, it looks virtually cinematic too

couldnt recommend this game enough if you have the same system as me!

P.S - its running on the native leopard OSX, not through bootcamp or anything, works just fine with mac

go buy!