Call Of Duty 4 on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TimJim, Nov 10, 2007.

1. TimJim macrumors 6502a

I have a 15" C2D 2.16, Radeon X1600 , 2 GB ram , 200GB 7200 rpm, Macbook Pro. I've played games on my MBP in OSX but every 'real' game demo i've played (ex. Civilization 4), my laptop goes straight to 6000rpm fans, and then the game crashes. If i install Windows XP (or Vista) and then play Call of Duty 4 on it, will the performance be better than games i've played in OSX?

Also, would 3GB Ram be a big improvement for games, or does it have to do with the Graphics Card?

2. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I have played the pre-release Demo of Call of Duty 4 on my 2.4MBP with 4GB of RAM. I played it under Windows XP, bootcamp.

It ran without any troubles, at a pretty decent resolution, although the fans to speed up quite a lot.

RAM will definitely help in the performance of a game.

3. TimJim thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is Vista or XP better for games?

4. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

Vista blows. I run games on XP fine, its more stable, takes up less HD space on my partitioned drive than Vista.
    All the games so far that I run on XP are small though I am getting COD4 and NFS Carbon, and C&C3 for windows shortly. Possibly Civilization 4 for Windows too. Oh and Ill be runnign Battlefield 2142 and Assassins Creed and the new Unreal Tournament on XP.

5. TimJim thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can Windows XP utilize 4GB of RAM?....Can Leopard?

6. Hunts121 macrumors regular

Hunts121

Leopard can, but I'm not sure about Windows XP, I'd imagine the 64bit version can, but I don't know about the Home and Professional systems. Vista can from what I've seen....but stay away from that buggy mess at this point.

7. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Were you getting good FPS playing COD4? Could you guess around how many you were getting?

8. Joel Beason macrumors member

I played the demo on my MBP which is over a year old now, a 2.16CD 1.5 gigs of ram and a 7200 rpm hdd, It ran it but only on the lower settings, so I think you should be fine

9. TimJim thread starter macrumors 6502a

So my Late 2006 Version MBP can utilize 4GB?

10. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

11. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

just installed cod4 demo on xp pro boot camp partition... runs great on my comp (see sig) and is a fun game although orange box is still next on my list

12. TimJim thread starter macrumors 6502a

13. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Personally, I prefer XP a lot over Vista- not just for games, but for anything that needs to be done in Windows. The eyecandy in Vista is just not enough to compensate for all rearranged menus. Call me functionally fixed, but I am sticking to XP for now because I am more familiar with it.

XP also tends to use less system resources, which results in a marginally faster performance in games.

14. holybatfart macrumors member

holybatfart

I'm running it at 1280*800 at med to high settings.

15. Architect4122 macrumors regular

Playing Orange box right now....I'm sad I never played HL2 when it originally came out....FANTASTIC game! :D

I as well was looking into getting COD4.

I cringe when I play though, I hate hearing the fans kick into over drive...anyone else cringe at this? :(

(MBP SR C2D 2.4 2GbRam)

16. Furiousgeorge macrumors newbie

MBP 2.4 ghz 2 gb ram

im having some trouble with CoD4, i cant seem to get a steady framerate, granted im running at pretty high settings, but it still seems a bit slow, especially at some parts.

I turned shadows and spec mapping off, but i cant find any other setting that makes a significant difference. Any ideas? what settings are you guys using

17. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i'm glad i never played the original half life 2 cause now orange box is even more enticing since i have twice the half life to play

18. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

I cringe too, just drown it out with the sound of gunfire! That's what its there for! :D

19. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

I agree with that! When I play Medieval Total War 2, the fans ramp up massively. Obviously cause of the GPU + heavy CPU use. Sounds like its going to mince my hand, if it doesn't burn me first :eek:

But yeah, turn up the battle sounds and you won't notice. Its not like there's any 'real' dialog.

20. Mr.nix macrumors member

I'm so glad I found this thread. Has anyone tried Cod4 with the old video card? I have the 1600xt. Would love to know if its playable before I go and install windows etc.

21. klute macrumors newbie

Is it possible to play COD4 on a new Macbook 2.2?

22. effer macrumors member

I got COD4 going on a new MBP 2.2ghz with 128meg video ram.

I found the best setting was 800x600 2xAA. Yes, the resolution is scary low, but remember the laptop's 15.4" screen is quite a bit smaller than most desktops. Low res is not as punishing as it is blown up on a much larger (eg desktop) display. Also, the AA helps out quite a bit. This res also allows for the most FX present, which is what makes the game look 2007, versus 2005 (like BF2 era).

Another thing, for these types of games I prefer a silky smooth frame rate. It makes the biggest difference to gameplay, and sucks you into those crazy fire fights!

I think the limiting factor here is the video ram, since that is very important for screen resolution in games

23. theman macrumors 6502a

^^ would you care to post a screenshot of that? i have the same mbp and yesm 800x600 is scary concept and something I have tried to stay away from since 1995, but maybe it doesn't look so bad...

24. effer macrumors member

I dont know if a screen cap would translate well. When you are playing with a smooth framerate it is difficult to tell what resolution you are at. Obviously, it doesn't look native res, but I was playing COD4 last night on an xbox360 on a 50" plasma, and what I got on the MBP is very decent! Other gamers on hand mentioned that as well.

800x600 2xAA. I'm not kidding you :p
    The last time I gamed at that res was in the 90's. 3Dfx chips..
    One thing's for sure, running it at higher res with limited FX is a very different experience.

25. djellison macrumors 68020

But just for clarity here - I've just played COD4 from end to end on an old P4 3.2G with 2 GB ram and an AGP Radeon X1950Pro , running Vista, at 1920 x 1200 with AA - without a single problem and smooth, reliable game play throughout.

I don't like Vista one bit - but as far as the questions asked is concerned, yes, Vista can play COD4 just fine - and whilst DX10 games are frankly, little better than DX9 games, the fact that they will only ever work on Vista is justification alone, imho, to install Vista for gaming.

Someone asked if COD4 would work on a Macbook. THe answer is simple. Forget it.

Doug