Call Of Duty 4 purchase help?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheShinyMac, Apr 23, 2010.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I would like to buy Call Of Duty 4 for my mac, my console version is scratched beyond repair. I have a 50 dollar BB gift card but they don't have it listed unless someone else can link it to me? Do you know any sites that are secure and offer a good price for it? I was also thinking about waiting for steam and I would buy the windows version for 29 dollars and then be able to play it on the mac for free-ish. Any ideas?

2. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

You'll be disappointed playing it on the mac after playing it on a console. I'd look for a used console copy again. There's no guarantee that it'll be on Steam when it comes to the mac too, only Valve titles have been committed so far.

3. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Well Id only use it for the multiplayer so, I get what your saying there will be a big learning curve as I will continue to use the 360 and mac but its a classic game and I think itd be awesome to play it whenever I have my mac, and my charger! Anyone else have any feedback?

4. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I'm just saying, I've played it on Windows, and on my Macs. Top end Mac Pro w/ 4870 didn't play it as nice as my Windows C2D 3.0 w/ 4670.

What kind of Mac do you have? My MBP (SR2.4, 8600M 256MB) could barely play CD4. It could if you turned down the settings, but then it didn't look great, but I was also spoiled by playing it in Windows first.

5. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I have a Penryn MBP 2.5 ghz 8600 gt, would it be worth making a boot camp partition and then I think I can digitally download Cod4 from BB for windows. Thanks for your help it also has 512 mb of vram and 2 gigs of regular ram

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I might be picky with performance, but for games, I'd go Windows. I hate Windows, hate hate hate it, but playing games you can't
    compare. Macs just aren't there (yet, hopefully).

Check out This

7. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

RICK you are amazing. Cod 4 is half price this weekend Im making bootcamp asap thanks man!!! Steam rocks

8. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

Hi, I have played COD MW in the 3 three platforms. The 360 was the best experience, but I can't play using a controller, I need a mouse. The Windows version was OK too, but the hassle was switching to bootcamp everytime I wanted to play. Finally I got the mac version, I had the 8600GT (512mb) and a 2.53ghz C2D. I could only play on standard resolution and all extras turned OFF and it was a a nice/convenient experience.

9. Xenophon macrumors regular

So if I read you guys correctly I'm better off getting a 360 or PS3, hooking that up to my tv and buying the game for one of those? I was thinking of buying COD4 and running it on my early 2009 unibody macbook with 4Gb ram, connected to my 24in cinema display.

Bummer, I'm not a big fan of consoles but if it's gonna be unplayable on my mac then there's no alternative I guess.

10. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Just make a boot camp partition...

Just build a Windows 7 boot camp partition. PC games work very well on a Mac but only through Windows. Universal binary or OS X written copies aren't robust enough.

11. Xenophon macrumors regular

Thanks but that's exactly one of those things I really don't want to do. When I switched to Apple I chose for their hardware and -especially- OS/X because I was sick and tired of windows and plastic pc laptops. If I have to accept that games won't run very well, so be it, I'll get a console. But partitioning my drive and installing windows doesn't make sense to me, I might as well not have switched.

(realize that this is an irrational argument but that's the way it is)