Call of Duty 4

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by guklein, Feb 21, 2009.

1. guklein macrumors 6502a

Does an iMac (20'' 2.66Ghz) support Call of Duty 4? Does I need BootCamp or I can to run i direct from Leopard?

Is it a good game?

Thank you.

2. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

yes, it will run, probably at a decent FPS!

You can do either, there is a OSX port by aspyr available. however, aspyr are pretty bad with their DRM, so unless you don't already have bootcamp/windows i'd consider the PC version.

yes, it's a good game. arguably the best multiplayer FPS game!

3. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

Using BootCamp (or Parallels) I have to buy a Windows version, right?

Is there any difference buying the download version from aspyr or Amazon?

Thank you.

4. permutated macrumors member

On the topic of COD4-

Where can I find some MODS? :cool:

5. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

yeah, using bootcamp/parallels you need the windows version, however aspyr's version works right on OS X.

no difference anymore, both versions are on the same patch version so you can play with each other... unless there is some slight performance difference, and even then i'd blame window's possibly better drivers.

hmm... i wasn't aware Amazon had a downloadable version... perhaps it's better? just make you read carefully about what the DRM is... worst comes to worst it'll have something ridiculous like 1-3 installs and then you've gotta buy the game over again.

6. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

Amazon does not have a downloadable version. I was asking if it is better to buy aspyr's downloadable version from OR a package/box from Amazon.
    :)

Thank you.

7. aluminumapple macrumors regular

i believe

GameAgent.com is the official mac digital download center. i think they are having a $10 sale. get em fast. i got mine for 44.95 :)

8. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Its an extremely good game, i would very much recommend it. If you're buying a disk but don't want the hassle of putting it in the drive every time, i would recommend finding a crack for the game online, it runs like a charm.

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Multiplayer don't require the CD. Only the single requires it.

10. singhy44 macrumors member

Well, if you go on the server list, and sort by Map Name, the mod maps usually are named as 'mp_
    Code:
    _[map name]'. For example, 'mp_pb' is paintball, 'mp_zom' is zombies. Some of the mod maps are excellent, better than some of the official ones, but often don't have many players. Be warned, however, that these maps are around 40MB each, and often by the time you download one, a new game has started, forcing you to download a new map, which is frustrating at times.

[QUOTE] Multiplayer don't require the CD. Only the single requires it. [/QUOTE]

This is true, but you still need a CD key. Obviously if you buy the game, as I have, you will have no problems playing online without the CD.

It's a great game, hope to see some of you online sometime! (I'm SINGHY btw)

11. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

Buying a downloadable version by aspyr's I will have all features of the game, right?

Thank you.

12. permutated macrumors member

Everything has worked fine and dandy for me after installing the update that comes with the Map Pack (also allows cross-platform play).

I've had a single bit of trouble with my key not registering but it only happened once and hasn't bothered me since.

It's a good deal, I'd jump on it. And when you do add me on MacFire (the OSX Xfire client). My tag is the same as it is on here :)

13. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

what about a MBP 2.2Ghz, 4GB ram, 128MB vram? Should I even bother?

14. Ol3s macrumors regular

Ol3s

CoD 4 is recomended for the new macbook on the apple.com/games site, so it should work on anything

15. CosBoi macrumors newbie

I have the old white 24" iMac (dual core 2.33, 2gig ram and 7600gt) and am under the impression that I would not be able to run COD 4 at full resolution very well at all? or have recent patches improved this?

16. dandyfrogs macrumors newbie

Single player doesn't work, but multi does... wTF?!

I just got and installed cod4.

I can play online, but when i try to click on the single player icon, it doesnt open.

17. aluminumapple macrumors regular

try updating. if that doesnt work go online than go click single player.

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It's such a fun game! It runs awesome on my Quad-Core Mac Pro too!

I got the digital download as well and it's great.

19. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would it run well in a iMac 20'' 2.66GHz 2GB memory?

Thank you.

20. waiwai macrumors regular

Yeh, I'd recommend bootcamp just to avoid any quirky hiccups u might get in os x version...

competitively its leagues away from Quake and CS.

21. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Is there any difference between the Playstation 3 game & The Mac Version?
    I Played the demo & dont remember the demos level in COD 4 Playstation version.