Call of Duty 5: World at War

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by fleshman03, Aug 23, 2008.

1. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Am I the only one who thinks this game is going to reek worse than COD2 and 3? WWII is played out. I really wish they would have done another modern warfare one.

Take a look at this gameplay footage: http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/21012

It just kinda blows. Am I the only one who will still be playing COD4 until COD6 comes out? (When the activation gets the COD franchise back)

2. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Yeah, I wish it was modern warfare again too since I enjoy that kind of stuff.

Keifer Sutherland is in it though and I would like to fight along side what'll sound like Jack Bauer :cool::p, so I'll probably give it a rent.

3. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

That's what I think I'll do. Rent it and see if it's worth 60 bucks. I doubt it will be though. $7 to find out it's a disappointment is always better than $60 and feel duped.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah the gameplay looks alright. In all honesty, it looks like it would have been a suitable successor to Call of Duty 2. But since its actual successor was a (shudder) POS, and Call of Duty 4 was plain godly, I don't think this one will live up to the standard set by COD 4 nor will it review very well.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The devs look like their going for a gritty(maybe bloody?)COD this time seeing as they might not pass the COD4 formula.

I'm not interested in it this time....I'm kinda tired of WWII shooters.

Bless

6. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I'm really looking forward to CoD5. I've seen the trailers and it looks pretty darn good to me. I have played all of the CoD games multiple times and have enjoyed each and every one of them.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

From listening to podcasts etc. it sounds like it plays and looks just like CoD4 plus it has campaign Co-op.

Treyarch starting developing before CoD4 came out so they didn't know modern day would be such a hit. I feel bad for them because they only had 9 months to develop CoD3 so why would it be that great? And now they have this crappy reputation. At least this time they had over 2 years to develop it with the CoD4 engine plus additional help from Inifinity Ward.

And Activision still has CoD. Infinity Ward (original makers) have just stated that they will be doing all new CoD games internally (and notice how this version ISN'T called CoD5, simply World at War)

8. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

1. Treyarch doesn't hold a candle to Infinity Ward. (But it's using the same engine so we'll see)

2. Call of Duty 2 was awesome.

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

sikkinixx hit the points I was going to ramble on. I heard them on 1up.. :)

Guys, watch this DORKY video.

If this game sucks, then Treyarch isn't a good developer, because they have a great engine to start with and more time this go.

I'm really looking forward to this game. I'm one of the minorities that does not like modern warfare shooters, but I did enjoy the COD4 demo.

There's a boat-airplane gunner mission in this game. :)

<]=)

10. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

See the graphics and engine looks great, but I still have problems with the WWII theme. I've been there, killed all the Nazi and Japanese I've ever wanted to. Too many times too.

I liked a really good warfare game that wasn't too tactical or had the name Tom Clancy attached to it.

I think a lot of people feel that way. I would have at least liked to see something Vietnam or fictional if current day wasn't going to happen.

11. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Give it a chance.

I like the sound of the Pacific Theater.

And as for Call of Duty 2...that was probably one of the greatest WW2 shooters I've ever played...I don't see how that was a fluke at all.

12. evan g macrumors regular

Well I am actually getting a little sick of modern shooters, and could use a good WW2 shooter. I'm getting tired of shooting middle eastern terrorists from an unidentified country.

13. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I never grew tired of WW2 shooters, but I never really liked modern shooters. The only exception is Counter Strike.

I'm getting this game for the Wii and trying the demo on my PC. It's one of the few Wii games that doesn't include PS2 and PSP in its development pipeline.

<]=)

14. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I just can't wait for Infinity Ward to be back in for CoD6.

15. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Then they'll produce a new engine and Treyarch will produce COD7 with that engine. Then the cycle will repeat.

Even if this game does quite well, I'm sure we'll never here the end of Tryarch and COD3. But to be fair, they only had a "year" to make that game. They deserve quite a bit of slack.

They've been working on COD5 game for 2 years now and started off with the COD4 engine, so there's little chance they'll mess this up, especially with every internet monkey swooning over Infinity Ward.

<]=)

16. madfresh macrumors regular

Yeah, I agree, but CoD4 was a hit. Let's see how this turns out.

17. dual64bit macrumors 6502

The WWII stuff never gets old for me. I love RTCW still!

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Hey, you're the one that pre-ordered Brothers in Arms. Another FPS, another WW2 FPS. :D :p

<]=)

20. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

21. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I am really sick of CoD games...honestly they are the same everytime..run and gun style.

I like having to use my head when I play war games, and thats why I play Brothers in Arms. If you havent played, I recommend playing Hells Highway which just came out. The story was really deep and emotional.

World War II was never played out, CoD played it out to the point when you never want to play. I think CoD5 will be fun, but I am still iffy about it.

22. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I was really looking forward to this game on the Wii, but I can see now that Treyarch is skimping on the Wii version. :rolleyes:

Look at these screenshot from MoH2, which is a game that shares its assets with the PSP of all things -- you'll see some PSP level models with the trucks;
    MoH2 - 1

MoH2 - 2

MoH2 - 3

MoH2 runs smooth at an average of 60 FPS on the Wii.

Now look at this VOMIT from COD5 Wii;

COD5 - 1

COD5 - 2

Now to take this personally... ARSEHOLES!!!

23. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Wow that does look like ****, Nintendo may be winning the war financially but it sure as hell doesn't seem so on the software front (except for exceptions like Galaxy, Brawl, etc)

24. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

MoH2 at least looks similar to WolfenStien enemy territory. COD5 looks worse off than Prime Hunters on the DS.

25. diego84 macrumors newbie

When is it going to be realeased for mac? the website doesn't say it will be supported.
    thanks