Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I recently got back into gaming and bought Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War. I am playing it on my Xbox One. So far so good. Graphics are great.

Since I am just getting back, I am a bit rusty. On Live, so far my performance has not been good. The other players are much better than me.

I am hoping to improve my game with practice, and get back to being a decent gamer.

What are your thoughts on the game, and which console are you playing it on?

Reactions: Donfor39

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
EVGA included Black Ops Cold War free with the purchase of my rtx 3090 ftw3 ultra gpu... well... doesn't feel free after paying msrp for a rtx 3090... lol. I liked the campaign... but really short. I pretty much only play campaign single player... rpg games. I'm just not good at online fps mp games.

I know this for a fact that I suck, because I watch my kid play, and I don't understand how fast they are at twitch shooting, and what direction they go... like they know what the other persons going to do. Pretty sure I won't improve with practice... but I'm sure you'll do better than me... haha

My kid also built his own rig recently (amd 3600xt/rtx 3070)... but I let him play Warzone and Cold War on my new rig. I noticed that console players are in the same game when the room fills up. It shows the system, and if they are using controllers or kbm. Didn't know online is cross-platform now. lol.. now you know I'm not really a die hard gamer... I mostly do productivity photo/vid editing digital content creation work... I built my system based on productivity 1st, and gaming 2nd.

What do you think about online mp with console/pc players playing together?
My kid is strictly kbm when he games... I would think that's a little unfair... but I suck, so I don't know.

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
EVGA included Black Ops Cold War free with the purchase of my rtx 3090 ftw3 ultra gpu... well... doesn't feel free after paying msrp for a rtx 3090... lol. I liked the campaign... but really short. I pretty much only play campaign single player... rpg games. I'm just not good at online fps mp games.

I know this for a fact that I suck, because I watch my kid play, and I don't understand how fast they are at twitch shooting, and what direction they go... like they know what the other persons going to do. Pretty sure I won't improve with practice... but I'm sure you'll do better than me... haha

My kid also built his own rig recently (amd 3600xt/rtx 3070)... but I let him play Warzone and Cold War on my new rig. I noticed that console players are in the same game when the room fills up. It shows the system, and if they are using controllers or kbm. Didn't know online is cross-platform now. lol.. now you know I'm not really a die hard gamer... I mostly do productivity photo/vid editing digital content creation work... I built my system based on productivity 1st, and gaming 2nd.

What do you think about online mp with console/pc players playing together?
My kid is strictly kbm when he games... I would think that's a little unfair... but I suck, so I don't know.

I think I am fine with it, and btw I know exactly how you feel lol. It's really hard to compete online. I think the PC gamers are probably super good, so having to play with them is unfortunate for me lol but it's fine.

At this point though, I HAVE to get good otherwise idk what games I would play. I kind of like COD a lot, and I used be OK at it. I mean not bad. Usually finish somewhere in the middle of my team, with a decent contribution.

I just don't have the patience to play other games where the story builds, and you have be patient and go through it in order to eventually win.

I prefer just a quick game with a bunch of trash talking gamers and then on to the next thing lol.

It's hard for me to really get into a game where it builds.

But I am going to try to expand bc I realize there is more to gaming that the small world I live in with COD, and previously Halo.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I recently got back into gaming and bought Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War. I am playing it on my Xbox One. So far so good. Graphics are great.

Since I am just getting back, I am a bit rusty. On Live, so far my performance has not been good. The other players are much better than me.

I am hoping to improve my game with practice, and get back to being a decent gamer.

What are your thoughts on the game, and which console are you playing it on?
I also recently got back into gaming after taking a break. 10-15 years ago I almost exclusively played counter strike and was very good. RPG games were of zero interest as I was addicted to the rush of fragging in FPS games.

COD black ops was amongst the first games I bought for my Series X. 10 days later I successfully requested a refund.

That marked the end of my FPS career. Playing online is significantly more competitive than 10 years ago. Many do it for a living and others play 4-8 hours per day which I did when I was at my best.

Sure I can play more and get better. However, after putting the kids down for sleep I want to chill. FPS online feel too much like a sport or work now.

On the other than I don't mind seeking out fun and more casual FPS games like overwatch or Titanfall for the odd adrenalin rush.

What I probably dislike most about COD black ops compered with counter strike is the very limited number of maps. CS has lots of fun maps, some that are pistol or sniper only or even low gravity.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I also recently got back into gaming after taking a break. 10-15 years ago I almost exclusively played counter strike and was very good. RPG games were of zero interest as I was addicted to the rush of fragging in FPS games.

COD black ops was amongst the first games I bought for my Series X. 10 days later I successfully requested a refund.

That marked the end of my FPS career. Playing online is significantly more competitive than 10 years ago. Many do it for a living and others play 4-8 hours per day which I did when I was at my best.

Sure I can play more and get better. However, after putting the kids down for sleep I want to chill. FPS online feel too much like a sport or work now.

On the other than I don't mind seeking out fun and more casual FPS games like overwatch or Titanfall for the odd adrenalin rush.

What I probably dislike most about COD black ops compered with counter strike is the very limited number of maps. CS has lots of fun maps, some that are pistol or sniper only or even low gravity.

So, did you return it because it's just too competitive? That's discouraging :/

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Don't be discouraged. Millions of people have fun playing the game and FPS is an amazing genre. Play the game but you have to invest time into being good.

Yes definitely! I really want to invest the time into it so I can get better. I know personally how much fun it is to be decent at games like Halo and previous COD games from many years ago. I've never been an expert, but definitely good enough to where it was challenging enough to where I could compete and do well and also learn from players who were better than me. Time to hit the Xbox! haha :)

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I am liking it. I can usually finish in the top two or three for my team in a match. I don't play team deathmatch, I like domination, hardpoint, and kill confirmed. The ones that have a bit more tactics to it.

Being older, I have lost a lot of my twitch factor, but I still have fun with it.

Playing on XBOX, I was honestly getting destroyed by the PC players, so I turned off crossplay and now only play against other xboxers. The wait times for matches can be a little bit longer, but I am doing much better that way.

I just remember the old days of MW3 (not remastered) where aimbots were a thing on the PC. Not sure if it is true, bit watching some of the "play of the games" just seemed like lot of the PC players had either wall hacks or aimbots. Knowing someone was coming into a room a second or two before they appear, or the snap to a headshot real quick and then snap almost 180 degrees the other way for another, and so on.

Perhaps they have them, perhaps I just have PTSD from the old versions.

I am having a lot more fun with it now that I turned crossplay off.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I am actually doing OK. Better than my first game.

A few games in, the neurons have refreshed from memories from playing HOURS back in the day.

my K/D ratio still isn't positive. Just below even. But still, I'll take it given i havent played in years and it's gotten much more competitive.

I'm hoping that in no time i'll have a break even K/D ratio. That way, I'd at least be helping my team

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
I'm years from decent online shot of Cold War.
Planning spending some BattlePass points this weekend.
Continuing with Easy story mode, and short Multiplayer sessions.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Just finished the campaign in about 4 hours. It was enjoyable but kinda short. I also did about an hour of Cheevo cleanup. I have little interest in zombies or MP. 40$ for 5 hours of play seems expensive. I wish I could just buy the campaign as a standalone thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.