Call Of Duty Dibocle

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Jmanp17, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Jmanp17 macrumors member

2. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

lol, were you trying to spell debacle? And I can't read the link at work.

3. Jmanp17 thread starter macrumors member

ah crap, I tried to wing it, Woops :D Google Bobby Kotick MW2 and the first 5 links should sum up what im talking about.

4. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

The Stupid Internet filter at work blocks anything related to games. So I still can't exactly read what you're talking about but if I had to guess I would say yeah it could be a monthly fee or he might want to follow in Ubisoft's and EA's footsteps and charge a 1 time fee to play online if you buy a used copy. I am starting to seriously reconsider playing Video Games anymore. The devs are starting to rip the players off immensely.

5. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I realize the article is recent, but it's old news.

Any fan of MW2 has known of Kotick's desire to go in a MMO fashion with Call of Duty for awhile. At one point it was believed that one of the studios making a Call of Duty was doing just that, while the Treyarch and Infinity Ward did their regular rehashes. WoW just brings in too much money consistently and others have tried in vain to reproduce the results and failed. MW looks like the one franchise with the online base, to possibly replicate that success.

As the Big Pond writer takes a position to spur debate, it isn't wholly unbelievable to think that Activision wouldn't change up the formula to support a MMO. Add things that would make an MMO seem more appealing than what is now offered. Dedicated servers, possibly beta testing, or anything to reduce the appearance of lag, completely customizable soldiers' appearance, specific clan uniforms, blah, blah, blah, you get the idea. At first shot Kotick isn't stupid enough to just lift the MW franchise and plant it as is, as a MMO. It will be a different enough animal to make it an option, that way Activision can continue to churn out CoDs like Madden games, with their now obligatory high priced map packs, and maintain that cash cow as well.

Although I wasn't too crazy about the tone of the writer, I do have to agree with him on an important point. The fanbase has encouraged & empowered Kotick to take this route. When all the crying, wailing, & gnashing of teeth was done about the price of the new map packs, millions still voted with their wallets and bought them. That is all Kotick needs to hear, MW2 is like crack, and he's the happy legal seller. Fans will buy anything for their fix. Sure they will cry & moan that they won't pay, but the percentage that actually don't... too small for him to care about.

I'm one of those too small for Bobby to care about. I admit I will probably get Black Ops, and like MW2, I'll play until the 1st map pack and disgustedly move on. Bobby doesn't care, as long as I am one of the sheep buying Black Ops on 11- whatever- 10. Bobby Kotick is a very successful businessman for a reason, he knows in this day in age of movie sequels, Harry Potter & Twilight book series, it's wise to maximize your successful properties. We can all sit back and say someday it will come back and bite him in the @$$, but until then, Activision's investors are cheering Bobby on.

6. Martinsalas310 macrumors regular

he said he would wish to make cod like world of warcraft..thats it.. it was just n interview and it was just a wish//
    hes not going to charge anyone..

7. Jmanp17 thread starter macrumors member

Oh so hearing all of these replies, you all say I wont have to pay 15 bucks a month to play MW2?

8. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

No.

As stated, MW2 will stay as is, probably with one more money grab map pack on the way. No monthly charges though.

In the future though, it's believed that there will be CoD MMO.

At one point, it was believed that Sledgehammer games, the company behind a third unrelated CoD game might be making it. Though that has been discounted.

As I said, the idea has been floated around by Bobby for awhile...

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51622

That article was from 2008.

9. Jmanp17 thread starter macrumors member

phew thanks guys, I was about to take my copy of MW2 and repeatedly beat it with a golf club! :)

10. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

A knife lunge from 20ft away would be a more fitting death.