OS X Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 & 3 Released!

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by maxdenis, May 20, 2014.

1. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Personally, I'd avoid them both. Neither of them come close to Modern Warfare 1.

2. TheGreatWumpus macrumors regular

TheGreatWumpus

Gameagent is selling them both at 50% off for GA members. (just means an account.) While I like MGS its hard to beat those current prices.

3. Elmzeh macrumors regular

Elmzeh

COD: MW3 Multiplayer Gameplay

Another great win for Mac Gamers, Aspyr and Feral Interactive are doing a great job in bringing as many top titles across to Mac as they can!

I've just done a quick video showcasing Call of Duty: MW3 running on my 15" Retina MacBook Pro in OS X - feel free to check it out below!

4. Celtic Warrior macrumors regular

Celtic Warrior

Well, I was expecting this to happen however, 40 bucks is pricey for 2.5 years old video game. I'll be waiting for discount.

5. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

6. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

Steam Summer sale. :D

7. Irishman macrumors 68030

Elmzeh,

Thanks for jumping on the grenade to save us all on this one. :) I was trying to decide whether or not to pick up MW3 ( as it's the more recent of the two). The graphics in your play through look dated. I'm wondering how you have them set? Is everything maxed out, or are you dialing some down for the sake of smooth gameplay?

Inquiring minds...:)

8. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Which one should I buy if I got CoD 4 already?

9. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

MW 2 carries on the story directly from COD 4, and MW3 does it for MW2.
    If you're interesting the single player that's the way to go.

10. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

I don't know about his settings, but I played it fully maxed out. While it's not the most up to date looking game, I think it has aged well in some respects. Lightings , smoke, special effects, and character models are still decent. The gameplay and mechanics are still top notch as well.

Although the environment and textures are the parts that are severely lacking. The game mitigates it by being as fast paced as possible, although once you stand still, even for a second you'll notice it.
    Even with the max AA available, (x4), there's some severe Aliasing at parts, and the game could do with some overall brighter colours. I know they went for the gritty brownish for a reason though.

Over all it handles and plays well, despite having visibly not aged well in some areas.

11. Celtic Warrior macrumors regular

Celtic Warrior

Exactly, It is wise to wait till the sales. It is already old game and I am pretty sure that it will be on sale during the summer or during the christmas but it will be on sale.

12. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Very happy about this good news. Thanks Aspyr!

13. Elmzeh macrumors regular

Elmzeh

Hey Bud!

I checked again tonight and ran the game with all of the settings at Max (Extra) and the game ran well and was playable however not as smooth as I would have liked.

I still managed to get through the matches with some decent kills but there were a few occasions where a few grenades or cars would blow up at once and it was get a slight bit of FPS lag but nothing too major.

Also, as Al mentioned - it is unfortunately a slightly older title in the series however when running at maxed settings it doesn't look too bad at all! :)

14. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Noice!

I already had the PC versions on Steam! No more rebooting! :D

15. ReL1988 macrumors member

any reason to try to on mbpr 13 (late 2013)?

will it be any good? or poor low-everything ?

16. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

17. ReL1988 macrumors member

thanks,
    i see iris5100 should be supported, but there is no info about what graphics-level i should expect.

low-everything? medium? high? max-out? :p

18. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

I'm actually very surprised by the requirements although Aspyr stated it's down to the Shader intensity of the game. Best bet is to play around with it I'd say, although considering the games age I think High is not off the table.

19. Aspyr-Blair macrumors 6502

High is possible but you will need to play at a lower resolutions for that to happen. Even then, you will get some lag during single player. Remember, the SP campaign for both games is essentially a summer blockbuster movie with TONS of explosions and rendering happening on the screen at once. MP performance will be a little more forgiving.

20. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Is the multiplayer also with Windows players or Mac only?

21. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

It's full steam play, so windows and mac.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's interesting. I actually saw it was available to download in my Steam account a few days ago while in OS X and I just thought it must have always been available.

23. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I've noticed Modern Warfare 2 appearing under OSX for awhile, but I assumed it was another steam glitch. Plus I didn't see any announcement on steam or otherwise.

I don't like Call of Duty anymore, but I almost want to buy MW3 just to support Mac gaming.

Making it steam play vs having separate versions on steam like Black Ops is a nice touch.

24. JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE