Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phwoar

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2016
Just found this thread, had earlier created the thread linked below but with proof. Glad to continue the discussion:

Last edited:

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
For making calls, I find that transparency mode is the best. With noise cancellation on, I cannot hear myself speaking - which is expected. With everything off, I hear myself too loud and also the other person can hear all the background noise from my end. With transparency mode on, I can hear myself talking the right amount. Also the headphones negate out a lot of background noise. On a conference call while I was driving in the rain, people at the other end was able to hear me clear and also was not able to tell that i was driving. That's good enough for me.

I prefer the simplicity of the originals.

Noise cancel on/off. Transparency on/off. It's all just too much. I want to put the damn things in my ear and talk, not worry about whether this feature or that is activated. My life is busy. I don't have time or head space for that crap.

Airpods Pro: Expensive Junk. Returned.

Reactions: Jutah

energythief

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021
BC, Canada
Just ordered a few pairs of the Air Pod pro for use with constant work-from-home conference calls, as some employees were complaining of headaches from the weight of our wireless over-the-head earphones. The call (voice) quality is atrocious. We are returning them and trying to purchase AP2 instead. Very disappointing.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Just ordered a few pairs of the Air Pod pro for use with constant work-from-home conference calls, as some employees were complaining of headaches from the weight of our wireless over-the-head earphones. The call (voice) quality is atrocious. We are returning them and trying to purchase AP2 instead. Very disappointing.

Strange, as use mine for work all the time and have never heard a complaint. What are AP2’s?

conifer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
Just bought some Pros after using some $30 Soundpeats I bought on Amazon and other assorted models for the past year or two.
The Pros sounded crazy good on DisneyPlus, way more interesting than the Soundpeats.

I called Apple support and the Pros sounded muddy. I will stick with the Soundpeats for calls and the Pros for entertainment.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I think the Pro’s are a fail for call quality. Really a shame as should be better than standard airpods. Everyone I talk too says they can hear every bit of noise in the background. No excuse for such a premium product. Apple needs to fix this or come out with a new product that fixes this. Waste of money, since I use mine mostly for phone calls.

Another annoying feature is if you have one airpod in your pocket and you are holding the phone to your ear and it just switches to the AirPod in your pocket. The auto switching is very poor.

Reactions: helloapple1

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2020
Apple offers two AirPods for you to own if the AirPods Pro mic doesn’t work. Use Pro’s for music and then switch them out to AirPods V2 for calls.

Joking aside, I’ve noticed Apple has really been lacking in the quality control aspect lately. Seems nearly every product I get from them has some sort of issue which defeats the purpose of paying the premium price for Apple products in the first place.

Reactions: GDF

conifer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
I was wrong in saying above the pros had bad call quality. i re-tested and they were fine. The issue prior was the fact that the other caller was doing a web call.
it is a shame though that the other caller had to hear the street noise on my enf. Maybe the iOS 15 FaceTime improvements will filter that out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.