Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
One of the features I was most looking forward to with the Watch was using it for phone calls - I really liked the idea of being able to cook dinner while having someone on speakerphone on my wrist, for example. But I've been really disappointed that this doesn't seem to work well in practice. Everybody that I can spoken to via my Watch says the call quality is terrible and they can barely hear me at all unless I am holding the Watch close to my mouth. The loudspeaker quality is terrible too; the other person always sounds like they are underwater or the audio cuts in and out.

This happens despite me having full 4G reception, my phone and Watch being very close to each other and on the same wifi network. FaceTime audio is just as bad (I thought it might have been a cellular call problem but neither is better than the other).

Has anybody else noticed a similar experience with their Watch when making phone calls?

Reactions: deany

fareal

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2008
When I've talked to my wife who was using the Watch speakerphone she sounds extremely clear. Surprisingly clear. I'm not sure how close to the watch she is when speaking. I mean I know it is on her wrist but I didn't ask if she was holding it up every time she speaks or leaving it down.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I had a few similar issues, but they seem to have cleared after a day or two, and I've had no problems since.

I wonder, even though you have a good signal, whether it is net work related?

I would give it a day or two & on different cell masts and see if it improves- if not I would phone apple.

When did you buy the watch?- is it less than 14 days ago?

cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.