Call through car speakers

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ultimatelightwe, Apr 7, 2010.

1. ultimatelightwe macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

New poster here :)

I've got a 3.5mm lead that I can link my iphone to my AUX input in my car. i can play my music through the car speakers no problem.

When a call comes in, the ipod shuts off but the call rings on my phone and I have to use the speaker function on the iphone.

Is it possible to get the call output through the car speakers? From reading about it seems I can't but if it's possible can someone tell me how! It would seem a sensible thing to be able to do...

Cheers

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

No, it's not possible. If you want to be able to do this, get a Bluetooth kit installed in your car. :)

3. ultimatelightwe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this. Glad to know I'm not missing something stupid!

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

It is MOST DEFINITELY POSSIBLE (at least it works in 2 of my cars and others I know said it works) I've done it a lot and before I posted this I retested it to make sure.

I have my iPhone plugged into my AUX jack via 3.5mm cable, played my iTunes and called my cell from my home phone, the iPhone rang, I tapped 'Answer' and do NOT TOUCH anything else and the audio of the call comes through the speakers.

Now the mic part is a bit soft for the caller so you'll have to speak up, but the audio definitely does come through the car speakers.

DO NOT use "Speaker" as the audio source, leave it alone and the caller's voice comes through the car speakers.

5. sjdigital macrumors regular

For sure the call cannot be routed through the dock connector but logically it should be able to be routed through the headphone jack, as it is when using headphones.