Call to Developers: Weather Push

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by GfPQqmcRKUvP, Jun 18, 2009.

1. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Just in case someone is looking to code a useful app. You can set a time when you want to be notified (in the morning), and the app would get the weather for the day and push it to you at that time.

For example. Set for 7:45. If I set my alarm for 8:00, I look at my phone and the weather notification is there for how the day is going to look.

Does this exist in any weather app now?

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I've got the capability to do it with what I'm doing with WeatherAlert, however having it run at a different scheduled time for every individual user will eat up server resources. I'd either have to beef up the server or get a new server just for pushing the good morning weather (or whatever you'd call it).

Since I have the weather part already worked out (mostly) the implementation wouldn't be too difficult. The pushing part is where it would get tough for what I'm working with. I'd have to see what my server options are and then figure out an appropriate price point just to hopefully break even.

...unless, of course, someone else implements it first, or one of the big weather guys enables this.

3. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I agree with the OP. I would really love a weather app that did what he suggested.

I would set it up to be around the time I get up. The problem with a universal time is I get up later than most people. I am afraid with push alert overlap making alerts disappear. I really don't know how the device will handle getting 20 push notifications while I am sleeping.

If I can click through them all, then I don't mind getting a 6:00am notice, otherwise I want it around the time shortly after I am going for the day. So I am most likely to see it.

Fish do you have any idea of what kind of server power you might need for this?

The problem is the first person to do this will probably get a lot of attention :) I run a lot of servers for my business and I might be able to find some good deals for what you might want. I just have no idea what kind of power you might need to backend something like that.

4. shk718 macrumors 6502a

umbrella puts a badge on its icon in the morning with the % chance of rain. i'd love a badge on a weather icon that indicated the current temp - updated 3 or 4 times a day - or - even better updated whenever the temp changed by 5 degrees or more - or - even better than that - have the icon change with a sun or clouds and the current temp !!! - but i'm sure apple won't allow icons to change (yet).

5. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I would also love a badge of what the weather is currently!

6. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

It's always annoyed me how the Calendar App will always show the current date/time, but the weather app won't show the weather for the current day It would be nice if it even showed today's Hi/Low

7. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I definitely would love this feature as well!!

Also, the ability to be alerted for weather warnings like flooding, etc. Would be so useful!

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Unfortunately, the push notification service only allows notifications to be sent (such as badge number, a text alert or a sound), so you couldn't send the actual weather across. The Push Notification service does allow you to send custom properties, but the Apple Design Guidelines prohibit using these properties for data transport so any app that did would possibly not get approved. I guess you could put a brief synopsis of the weather as an alert message though (such as: New York - Mostly cloudy with max temperature of 75 Degrees. 50% Chance of rain)

Having the current temperature as a badge number is a pretty innovative use of badges ;)

9. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

wouldnt that require quite alot of pushes seeing as the temperate changes quite alot throughout the day?

10. shk718 macrumors 6502a

nope they can push any number they want.

11. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I think they mean changes for how often the temperature changes during the day, not getting to the number.

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP thread starter macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Exactly what I was talking about. I should have made it clearer.

13. rmchale macrumors regular

Couldn't you do something similar to the more advance option on this Cron post? It should spend most of its time sleeping.

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

In that case it certainly would be possible and it's a great idea :)