Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmitch150

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Boston, MA
So here is my original post from yesterday. Today I got e-mail confirmation from Apple.

Hey guys just got off the phone with a rep who was real nice. I explained to him I already bought a bumper for the signal issue and that anything they could do would be appreciated. I was put on hold and about 10 minutes later a supervisor came back on the phone and said that they would like to offer me a product from the apple store as compensation. He said that I would have to pick out something in the $75 price range, so I decided to pick the in ear headphones.

I think the biggest thing was that I was very polite and told them how much I have enjoyed the products over the years and that I was just a little annoyed with having to purchase a case to fix the issue.

Overall I'm really impressed and the people I talked to were great. I'll post my e-mail from Apple when I receive it as proof.

EDIT: He also told me that another person would be calling either Monday or Tuesday to follow up on the issue.

So yeah for those who didn't believe me here is proof.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-27 at 2.22.45 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-27 at 2.22.45 PM.png
    412.6 KB · Views: 395

Dsr1205

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
This **** is infuriating. What is going on over there at apple. Some people call and get nothing while others call and get expensive free things for their trouble? does anyone else think this is nuts?

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
This **** is infuriating. What is going on over there at apple. Some people call and get nothing while others call and get expensive free things for their trouble? does anyone else think this is nuts?

Yes, I agree. Seems all over the board at the moment. I'm not having trouble with my phone so I would never call Apple and make up problems in the hope of getting free stuff (and I'm definitely not saying the original poster or anyone else here is doing that) but, free stuff is free stuff!

If they are giving away product...heck, I'd like some!

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
What I think is nuts is the people who feel they deserve this free stuff from apple. Pathetic

I spent $600 on a product. They have billions in reserves. It's not only the right thing to do when they sell a bad product, but it's great for business.

jmitch150

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Boston, MA
What I think is nuts is the people who feel they deserve this free stuff from apple. Pathetic

I didn't call looking for any free stuff. I was calling just to vent my frustration and see if they could compensate me a little bit for having to purchase the case when I wanted to just use my phone without a bumper.

People like you need to chill and realize that this is a message board where we should all be friendly and not attack each other.

ducktales

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
I didn't call looking for any free stuff. I was calling just to vent my frustration and see if they could compensate me a little bit for having to purchase the case when I wanted to just use my phone without a bumper.

People like you need to chill and realize that this is a message board where we should all be friendly and not attack each other.

i lol'ed. how nice of you to contradict urself.

jmitch150

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Boston, MA
i lol'ed. how nice of you to contradict urself.

I didn't want anything free. I had already purchased a product I didn't need. Ecspecially after I have spent easily 3 grand on apple products in the past 2 months. Because I had to purchase the bumper I was hoping for maybe 10 dollars in iTunes credit or a refund in the bumper.

mbsaeger

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I called nicely, the lady I spoke too was quite confused, and really didn't know what to say. She just said to hold it differently. She also recommended that I purchase a case. Playing nice doesn't always work.... I might call back later...

Stankonia

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
Denver, CO

Don't know if you can call it "free" stuff when people are having to buy $30 bumpers to attempt to correct a design/manufacturing/programming flaw (since we don't know which one it is yet :p )

I don't plan on asking for anything for free, but I commend Apple for doing what they can to keep their customers happy.

KGWVU

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
So here is my original post from yesterday. Today I got e-mail confirmation from Apple.

So yeah for those who didn't believe me here is proof.

That's odd, Alex Miller must be some canned email bot - my email came from the same person. I have also seen others post their emails and they also came from an Alex (they blanked out the last name)

I called Apple before I even heard they were offering bumpers. I was just voicing my displeasure with the reception issues and the supervisor offered a bumper to help alleviate the issue. I did not call with any expectations other than an ETA on something official from Apple.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Glad it worked out. I don't think its unreasonable to be compensated if you have a faulty product.

I'd all as well but my phone is working fine.

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
I called nicely, the lady I spoke too was quite confused, and really didn't know what to say. She just said to hold it differently. She also recommended that I purchase a case. Playing nice doesn't always work.... I might call back later...

Did you mention to her what had happened to the OP? It might help to fax her a copy of his proof. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.