Called Apple about using a screen protector on oleophobic screen.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by savior1974, Jun 23, 2009.

1. savior1974 macrumors regular

Been reading tons of mixed reports on whether or not you should put a Screen protector on the oleophobic screen of the 3GS and if you should be concerned with damaging the oleophobic coating.

Well the apple rep told me that it would NOT damage the screen coating if you were to use a screen protector, adhesive or not, as long as it's a protector approved for use with the 3GS, such as the Power Support or others sold at Apple. (She also said, others not sold at apple might be ok, but the ones we sell at apple, we guarantee will be ok.)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Translation:
    Screen protectors are ok anywhere you get them but we must push our **** from our stores so better buy there just in case. :D

3. savior1974 thread starter macrumors regular

Same thing I thought too. But I was just relieved that the screen would not be damaged by using screen protectors... You get pretty paranoid reading all the information here LOL.

BTW, I called Applecare, and spoke to someone in Teir 2 support.

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

You called level 2 support to ask them if it's ok to use a screen protector on the 3GS, when dozens of people here have stated it's fine, and when Apple clearly sells them with no caveats. No wonder it takes so long to get a call thru to Apple.

5. savior1974 thread starter macrumors regular

If you also have noticed, you would have seen that people have been concerned about ones with adhesive on them, and also the adhesive on the Crystal Support pre-installation film. So who better to call than apple, isn't that what they get paid for?.

Also, I figure its better to get an official word, than just go by what someone on a forum tells me, After all, it would be up to apple to replace my phone, not the forum.

6. dagomike macrumors 65816

+1

Some people just have to make themselves feel superior. /ignore.

FWIW, I recall someone else asking Apple and they said not to use adhesive skins, but PS were fine.