Called Apple Store (Day 13)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jazwire, Feb 9, 2010.

  1. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

    Jazwire

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2009
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #1
    Well ... I gambled and looks like it didn't pay off. (yet)
    13 days ago I bought a 2.66 15"MacBook Pro

    I called the local Apple store just a minute ago and asked about upgrading to the 2.8. For a few reasons:
    1.) If I get stuck with an old model might as well have the best.
    2.) When The I-series comes out I made up my mind to get the top of the line one anyway.
    3.)It will reset my 14 days and Ill get till the 23rd or 24th (if I wait till tomorrow) for the refresh. (Yes I know 2 restock hits, although I might have sweet talked the manager out of hitting me on this upgrade.)

    However, the disappointing news was when I asked about upgrading to the 2.8, they said they still had plenty of them in stock I didn't need to "hold" one.
     
  2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

    patrickdunn

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2009
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO
    #2
    Even if you kept the 2.66, it will still run like a champ for the next 3 years. Cool story though.
     
  3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

    Dwalls90

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    #3
    Not to be rude, but no one knows or cares. You bought it, so keep it or gamble some more and wait and see when Apple releases the new ones. Our guess is as good as yours. It's still a great machine though.
     
  4. yoppie macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2007
    #4
    Why do people make purchases like this? Why not wait until the product is announced? You're not getting it any faster.

    If you need it, buy the computer and enjoy it. If you can wait, wait. "Gambling" and then being disappointed with what you end up with when it doesn't pay off is silly.
     
  5. Jazwire thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jazwire

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2009
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #5
    I thought people might "care" that a major Apple store still had plenty of 2.8 machines in stock. Which would lead me to think that if there was a update later today. That they might of said when I asked about placing a hold on the 2.8 I would of got a different response from. "No we have plenty in stock."

    I'm not complaining about my choice, I have my strategy if it works out it works out...If not then I'm comfortable with the consequences. I won't be overjoyed that I missed out, but its not the end of the world.
     
  6. ugadawgs00 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2009
    #6
    Actually if you wanted the best, that would be the 3.06GHz model:D
     
  7. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #7
    Except this isn't a great indicator of whether or not there's an imminent update.
     
  8. Falundir macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2010
    #8
    Correct, the actual problem could be that most of the people who are aware of the situation are holding off and not buying, so their stock of MBPs are selling slowly.
     
  9. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

    wikoogle

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2009
    #9
    Only 14 days, PLUS a 15% restocking fee.

    Dude, that's BS. If you wanted a hold over laptop till the update comes out, never ever buy from the Apple Store.

    Just return it and buy it from costco. You have I think 90 days to return the thing, and there is NO restocking fee.

    I believe even Amazon (and lots of other retailers) give you 30 days no questions asked return with no restocking fee.
     
  10. Falundir macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2010
    #10
    I was told there was no restocking fee if you bought a MBP now and returned it for the new model.
     
  11. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

    mousouchop

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2008
    Location:
    New York
    #11
    You have to get those BTO though, which could cause delays in repairs in the future. I have gone into Apple stores and just had them switch out my computer for another. Had I had a BTO, this quick service never would have been possible.

    I would rather the best STOCK MBP, over the best BTO MBP.
     
  12. HLdan macrumors 603

    HLdan

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    #12
    Firstly, Apple charges a 10% restocking fee, not 15%. Secondly, Costco sells the full line of MBP's now? Really? :rolleyes:
     
  13. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

    patrickdunn

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2009
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO
    #13
    What new model?
     
  14. Falundir macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2010
    #14
    I was told by the people at the Apple store that if I purchased a MBP today and a new model came out in 14 days that there would be no cost to me, even if I wanted to downgrade from a 17 to a 15.
     
  15. Razeus macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    #15
    It's not like the C2D @ 2.66Ghz is going to stop running when the new one comes out. That CPU is good for at least 3-4 more years. Maybe longer since software for Apple doesn't get upgraded that much, nor seem to be resource intensive (The current and upcoming Office and Photoshop will run like a champ on the C2D). It's not like Word needs more than that.

    But I hear what you saying. Nothing is worse than buying something, then finding the newer stuff comes out a week later. That stings.
     
  16. Fireman451 macrumors newbie

    Fireman451

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    #16
    Caveat emptor.

    It's not like you bought a pile of junk, you bought an excellent machine.

    Look at it logically and rationally for a moment . . . if you went out and purchased a brand new 2009 BMW 3 Series Coupe last November only to find out that BMW introduced a new 2010 3 Series model with a few differences, would you feel like you got ripped off?

    I mean after all, in this example you had the wherewithal to buy an awesome, well crafted machine brand new that runs beautifully right? Of course. So why do you and so many others here try and make it sound like somehow they got stuck with a Chevy Cavalier while the rest of the "smart" buyers are getting the newest BMW 3 Series.

    So go enjoy your brand new, 2009 MBP and always know that whenever you buy anything, a newer model is never far behind. Instead of trying to stay ahead of something you have no control over, how about enjoying what you can control.

    Best of luck reconciling your purchase.
     
  17. Razeus macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    #17
    Ya, but the only difference is....those BMW's are usually marked down.

    The MBP's however, are still selling for full price, totally out of line with the technology.
     
  18. Falundir macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2010
    #18
    Lately I've been repeating the same statement. A machine is excellent for one person, and horrible for another based on each person's needs.

    For what I do an i7 MBP would save me countless hours in the field and in the lab compared to an older C2D. As a result the C2D is an excellent, older, aging machine with reduced value compared to the competition on the market.

    Again... your needs are not always mine.
     
  19. Fireman451 macrumors newbie

    Fireman451

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    #19
    Not when you bought it in current year (as was clearly pointed out in my example).

    Since the 'new' MBP is not out yet, the existing line up of MBP's are still the current model . . . see how that works?

    Besides, if someone really wanted a discount on a brand new 2009 BMW or current version MBP in 2010, they'll have to wait. And keep waiting until rumors of the 2011 come out and the buyer's remorse starts all over.

    It never ends with these folks. Life must be so much fun!
     
  20. Fireman451 macrumors newbie

    Fireman451

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    #20

    Just wait long enough and you'll be drooling over the i10 MBP and find yourself in the same spot.

    Best of luck my newest Quixotic friend. :D
     
  21. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    #21
    You're correct. You should not buy a machine now, or when the 'upgrade' comes out. You clearly will never be happy with the current *anything.*
     
  22. Habitus macrumors 6502a

    Habitus

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2009
    Location:
    Where ever my life takes me...
    #22
    Why wouldn't the 2.66GHz work for you? That's an awesome MBP!

    Habitus :apple:
     
  23. Jazwire thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jazwire

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2009
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #23
    Just left Apple Store , 2.8 ghz , no restock fee. Reciept says I have until Feb 23 to return this one. Back in the game!!
     
  24. carl l macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2010
    Location:
    CA
    #24
    Good choice but if you return another you have issues. The top of the line models are so powerful they make easy work of any task. My 2007 2.2Ghz broke so I upgraded and have zero regrets. I heard a new one would be coming but, unlike cars, computers are constantly improving so there's never a good or bad time to buy. Just enjoy what you have, it'll have an answer for everything you throw at it.
     

Share This Page