Called Vintage after 5 yrs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maggi39, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Maggi39 macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro crashed and Apple do not supply spare parts after 5 years However they recommend repair dealers. They also say that if it is the hardware then maybe you can get some sort of compensation under the 6 yr consumer law.. This is just a fob off as apparently the fault had to be recognised within the first 6 months of purchase. Has anybody had any success with the 6 year Consumer rules?

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Are you talking about the Sale of Goods Act?

It is possible to make a claim for faulty goods up to six years after you have purchased it in the UK.
    But...it is up to you to prove that it isn't just normal wear and tear and is a result of poor design or faulty manufacturing.
    If you are still convinced you have good reason to make a claim I would recommend contacting Citizens Advice.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Define crashed.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I've had success with using the Sales of Goods Act before, but it's not very clear cut. I'm not quite sure whether the 6 years bit is a law or just an EU directive.

Both times the product (Thunderbolt Display and iPhone 5) were only about a year and a half to two years old so that may have helped. The Geniuses at the Apple Store have a separate entry on their iPads for consumer law warranty claim as opposed to AppleCare claim, so it may be worth taking it to Apple and asking.

Good luck.