Carrier Caller can't hear me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ironman1964, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Ironman1964 macrumors regular

Ironman1964

I have discovered that on occasion, and mostly when I am at my desk at work, I get or make a call and after initial contact I can hear the caller but they can't hear me. I have always had sketchy reception at my desk but in this case I don't believe this is signal, because I can hear them clear as a bell, and for them they think we have been disconnected. I have a 7+. This may have happened once or twice in other settings besides my work desk.

2. beernut macrumors 6502

is part of your face accidentally hitting mute? does it happen when on speakerphone?

3. mzd macrumors 6502a

I had this issue with my iP6 and fixed it by turning off LTE voice.
    Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Enable LTE > Data Only

4. Ironman1964 thread starter macrumors regular

Ironman1964

I don't think so because the phone is fine most of the time.

5. Ironman1964 thread starter macrumors regular

Ironman1964

I'll give that a try, thanks.

6. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

This was a constant issue on my 6, i'll have to give this a go on my 7.

7. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

My son's 6s has that problem all the time. He's on TMobile. It may be his WiFi calling feature. I didn't think of the LTE idea

8. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

Ive been having the same issue lately. My 6 gave me no phone quality issues. People who are on the other end tell me my phone is going in and out or they can't hear me, then when I put the phone on speaker it usually helps. I always hear them fine though. I have a 7+ T-Mobile using Verizon Qualcomm model.

9. cope24 macrumors member

Same has happened to me lately. iPhone 7+ 256 with att. I hear them fine but the other person says I'm cutting in and out. Haven't tried using speaker when this happens.

10. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

Let me know if you find a remedy. I have a tempered glass on but it's not blocking anything and I don't want to remove it since for the FIRST time in my life it was a flawless installation. I know once I remove it, dust particles would be in full effect and I have a feeling it has nothing to do with it. Do you have tempered glass on it?

11. cope24 macrumors member

No screen protector of any kind. Either the Apple silicone case or the leather one is all I've used in it. Maybe the 10.2 update will fix, I'm getting ready to install it

12. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

Good luck. I downloaded the latest which I thought was 10.1. I'll check my phone to see if there is 10.2 available. I'm wondering if an issue like this software related or hardware.

13. Ironman1964 thread starter macrumors regular

Ironman1964

I did set the enable LTE to data only and so far no issues.

14. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

Hi. So while I google to find a shorter to the point definition of voice and data with lte vs. just data, is there something I won't be able to do? Will I still have the ability to send texts or emails while on a call? I had always had both checked off on my old iPhone so that's why I selected it on the new one. A simplified explanation if you know. Thanks.

15. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502

If you're using headphones it's an issue with the adapter or the ear pods... Unplugging and plugging back in fixes it

16. Ironman1964 thread starter macrumors regular

Ironman1964

I am not sure.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yes you can do everything including use data while on a phone call with LTE for voice and data.

18. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Guessing it's a software problem Seems to only happen in certain places
    Hopefully Apple is aware

19. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

What provider are you using?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2016 ---
    Same question. What provider?
    It depends on the carrier you are using. Who's your carrier?

20. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

This happens to me every now and then (iPhone 6s+). Verizon Wireless - LTE Voice + Data on.

I have terrible reception at home and use WiFi calling a lot but it has happened in max reception areas as well as at home (I work next to a Verizon tower and have max reception there). Usually the other person on the line goes: "Hello? You there? Oh there you are, you sounded like you went far away for a few seconds." It never happens for more than 5 seconds and never more than once or twice a month so I've ignored it.

LTE Voice makes calls SUPER high quality so I don't want to turn it off. I almost never use my phone to make phone calls so... another reason why I don't want to turn it off. But maybe I will.

21. Ironman1964 thread starter macrumors regular

Ironman1964

AT&T

22. mzd macrumors 6502a

AT&T as well.

23. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

I meant what happens when it's just data in for LTE but I believe someone just said it makes the quality better.

24. C DM, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016

C DM macrumors Westmere

You mean when you have just data enabled for LTE (instead of data and voice)? Then you use LTE for data, and CDMA for voice. When you are in a call you can still receive/send text messages, but you can't really use data.

Edit: The above is when it comes to CDMA carriers like Verizon or Sprint, for example. For GSM carriers simultaneous voice and data would still generally be there even without LTE, LTE just improves it all.

25. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

It happens when I am talking without any headphones. I'm on T-Mobile using Verizon phone. I updated again last night and updated carrier settings today, I believe that's what the pop up showed. I'll try making some calls in the same spot as elsewhere to see what happens. Most of the time it's during unplanned important (needing me to repeat numbers or other pertinent details) calls so go figure.
    So does that still apply on T-Mobile using the Qualcomm phone?
    I'm trying to figure out if the GSM only phone would have been better. I did ask the guy before I purchased if it would perform the same as GSM only. I was just expecting better wall penetration and an extra option for CDMA only if I needed to sell or possibly switch over.