Caller-ID in iMessages - PIN like features?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nk416, Jun 8, 2011.

1. nk416 macrumors newbie

... I see you can add additional email addressess to be contacted via iMessage. Seems to make sense, those who were on blackberry could give out their PIN and not have to also give out their phone number / emails / etc.

My question is, if I make a dummy email account (imessage@gmail.com for example) - just to give to people who I would like to iMessage with but not actually give them my full contact information ... would they be able to discover my additional information?

I notice that in Settings/Messages/Receive At/"Caller ID" you can set one of your email addressess or phone number as caller-id. What does this mean? Does it mean the person with my "dummy" iMessage email addy (imessage@gmail.com) will see the caller ID that is set here (e.g., my phone number?)

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It has to be a real, valid, email address that you can receive mail at. But apart from that that's yes you can use this to hide your real email address or phone number.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

They will gain no additional information

4. nk416 thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the point of the "Caller-ID" option in iMessage and FaceTime then?