Caller ID on my mac from cell phone

Discussion in 'macOS' started by computerman-8, Dec 6, 2007.

1. computerman-8 macrumors member

I've remember years ago I watched an episode of somewhat tv show and I saw that it was possible to have Caller ID on your mac from you cell phone. It was also built in. What do I have to do to get that.

Thanks.

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

Pretty sure that wasn't real. And if it is, then I have never heard of it.

3. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

This very much was a built in feature of the old Address Book. I dont know if it is still a feature. I was never successful in having it work with the phone I had. ANyone know if this is still a feature and if it is how to make it work. Seems like something that would be a perfect easily integrated feature of the iPone especially when docked.

Kevin

4. NicP macrumors 6502

This was a built in feature of the old address book. You connect to your phone via bluetooth and when messages or phone calls come in they are displayed on your mac. You could also send sms messages from address book.

Unfortunately this feature was removed in leopard :(

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

! really? That is freaking awesome! Shame I have a verizon phone that has its bluetooth crippled in every way imaginable, otherwise i would have probably looked into more of the things that my mac could do via bluetooth.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

7. unity macrumors 6502a

My words exactly! Although as a long time user, I prefer the 1.0 over the 2.0 beta I had tried. But its been a while, since I have an iPhone I no longer use BluePhoneElite.

But when I had it the caller ID worked great. Sending SMS was fun form the app and often times I placed calls too. With a bluetooth headset on hand I rarely touched the phone itself!

8. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

+1 for BluePhoneElite. Its annoying that Apple have removed a feature but BPE does a lot more anyway.

9. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

Is there anyway to make something like that work with the iPhone? This would be an awesome feature to have!

10. unity macrumors 6502a

Not stock.

Not even sure if there is a way right now vie third-party.

I say wait til spring when the developer SDKs are out, I bet we will see some awesome apps.

Frankly I am surprised its not just a "feature" in the OS :(

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Salling Clicker.

Phone needs Bluetooth to communicate, obviously.