Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tryppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Afternoon!

I had a question regarding the caller ID service. I'm in Canada and would be going with Rogers Wireless.

If one has decided against taking the caller ID package from the cell provider, would the name or photo still appear on the screen if they called and were in the iphone contact list?

Or do you need the caller ID service for that?

Thanks

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
We don't know, as it is built in to the service, almost everywhere. All you really need is the number, which you iPhone will check against your contact list to display a name and photo.

TEG

View

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2007
I'm not sure, but I think it will be something like "unknown" on the screen when there's an incoming call, so no, your phone will not be able to recognize it.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
We don't know, as it is built in to the service, almost everywhere. All you really need is the number, which you iPhone will check against your contact list to display a name and photo.

TEG

My best guess would be that you won't be able to do the photo caller ID without caller ID. Doesn't the phone get the source phone number through caller ID data? I don't think I've ever seen any information displayed on a phone that does not have caller ID so I would assume that name and phone number are only transmitted when the caller ID service is enabled and without any of that information the phone will have nothing to parse your contact list against.

tryppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Rogers charges 15$/month extra for these services;

iPhone 3GVisual Voicemail Value Pack

Visual Voice Mail
Call Display
WhoCalled™
2500 Sent Text Messages

*Get the 1st month for FREE

Hoped I could dance around it if the number was stored in my phone already.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
it will just come up as "unknown call" without caller id.
All caller id is doing is telling the phone what phone number is calling you, the phone displays the name and picture after it cross references the number with your contact list.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
A friend and I actually tested this (sort of) this weekend. I called her iPhone, and my pic popped up. I turned my "show my caller ID" setting to Off (in Phone setting), and called her again. It showed up as blocked on her screen. It just said "Blocked," and rang with her default ring, not the ring she has for me.

I was actually happy to see how simple it was, because I've had a blocked number for years, and I was uneasy about switching to an unblocked number for 100% of my calls*. Now all I have to do is finish taking all the "*82" from in front of all my contacts. :cool:

*No, I'm not doing anything naughty, just don't want to broadcast my number to all and sundry when I'm calling to get something free from craigslist or something.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
A friend and I actually tested this (sort of) this weekend. I called her iPhone, and my pic popped up. I turned my "show my caller ID" setting to Off (in Phone setting), and called her again. It showed up as blocked on her screen. It just said "Blocked," and rang with her default ring, not the ring she has for me.

I was actually happy to see how simple it was, because I've had a blocked number for years, and I was uneasy about switching to an unblocked number for 100% of my calls*. Now all I have to do is finish taking all the "*82" from in front of all my contacts. :cool:

*No, I'm not doing anything naughty, just don't want to broadcast my number to all and sundry when I'm calling to get something free from craigslist or something.

Recently some Phreakers cracked that system to find your ID info anyways. :D

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
it will just come up as "unknown call" without caller id.
All caller id is doing is telling the phone what phone number is calling you, the phone displays the name and picture after it cross references the number with your contact list.

There is other information along with the phone number. I often get caller ID information like company or individual's names that are not programmed into my phones so information stored in the phone company's database is also transmitted.

Of course your address book is also cross referenced and name custom ringtones and photo ID will override what information the phone company sends if the number is found.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.