callers can't hear me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lsh, Nov 13, 2015.

1. lsh macrumors 6502

I have had several calls where the caller can't hear me - iPhone 6s+. I'm not sure if i'm doing something with the phone that is shutting off the mic or hardware issue.
    Once I did switch it to bluetooth and it worked. I haven't tried speaker yet. The callers are hanging up before I get a chance.

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Almost too many variables to troubleshoot:
    • Case on the phone?
    • Signal strength at times of the calls?
    • Same callers or different callers?
    • Carrier?
    • Your callers on same carrier?
    • Did you call them back? Did that rectify the issue?

3. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I would either work with a friend to try to troubleshoot the problem (text them that you're going to call, have them stay on the line while you try some options on your phone) or take it to the Apple Store and let them figure it out. It's not normal behavior. Most likely, a hardware problem.

Has it ever worked? And make sure the Mute button isn't highlighted before taking it to the Apple Store... :) You could also try to reset the phone and see if that changes things.

C

4. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

Restart your phone? I had this issue with some betas and a restart corrected it.

5. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Have you removed the plastic that covers the microphone on every new iPhone?

6. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Caller heard me, but not very well, so I reseted new again, and it worked for me.

7. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

Also, do you have VoLTE turned on? I know my mother was having terrible problems with her phone initially because she is in a low LTE signal area, and had VoLTE turned on. She could hardly use the phone in her house. I told her to turn it off, and sure enough no issues now. I think the phone was forced to use the weak LTE signal (or at least was trying too hard to use it) for audio and it was failing half the time.

8. lsh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the tips. I'll try some of these suggestions. Case is definitely not blocking, but good suggestion.
    I'll check the mute next time, maybe I am accidentally hitting that.
    I have AT&T and do have wifi calling on but was in the car with no wifi at least one of the times.
    I don't talk on the phone a lot, but will keep these suggestions in mind.