Calling all 15" rMBP users and Graphic Designers!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CJash, Mar 9, 2015.

1. CJash, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

CJash macrumors newbie

Hello! I've recently been accepted into graphic design school and part of the course requirements are to have a 15" Macbook pro (or Windows equivalent). Obviously we aren't seeing an update yet with the 15" rMBP, but i'm not sure the new update (if there is one) will be released in time for my August start date.

Does anyone have any issues with the current rMBP? Any designers using the adobe suite of applications have any issues with the system? Iris Pro vs Iris Pro + dGPU ?

I know Best Buy currently has the current models with $200 off og price. Any suggestions is helpful.

[EDIT] No gaming will be done this machine, this is being purchased strictly for work/school design purposes. I have a gaming rig at home.

Thanks,
    CJ

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I've had the late-2013 15" rMBP with 750M since it came out, and it's been chugging along just fine. The 750M comes in really useful for CUDA-accelerated software.

3. nirvanemesis macrumors member

If it's part of the course requirements, I'm fairly sure it'll be fine for work and school purposes. The Iris Pro is no slouch, but if you're looking for the dedicated GPU option, the 750M is pretty ancient now but if you need it it's the only option. If you're comfortable with waiting until WWDC in the summer, you can see if there's any 15" refresh there if quad core Broadwell is out by then.

4. kylepetree macrumors newbie

If you're going to buy from Best Buy they will take another $50 off if you sign up for their college deals with your .edu email.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/global/college-student-deals/pcmcat276200050000.c?id=pcmcat276200050000

I don't think the processor upgrades are going to be that dramatic, you'd be safe buying now. If you sign up for their deals you can get it for $250 less than list which is a great deal. If you wait until the refresh you might not be able to get as good of a deal.

Lastly, if you didn't already know, Apple provides their own education discounts on Macs. They have some up to $200 on the 15" rMBP.

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/mac

[edit] As of this posting their MacBook Pro education site isn't showing the pricing correctly but I'm sure they'll have it fixed by morning.

5. Daelos macrumors member

In all honesty, either would be more than sufficient - go with your budget/what you can stomach spending.

I'm a practicing graphic designer, about to go into post grad study, and still don't have a retina macbook pro - running a late 2011 mbp, ssd, and no problems with the Adobe creative suite or anything I throw at it (unless dealing with multiple huge .tiff files in photoshop, but thats rare. Half of my friends from university are even running on MBA's as their main personal machines now when out of the studio.

You're going to study design - The MBP will be a tool, much as the Adobe CS suite is. Get the minimum you can justify (for resale, future proofing etc) and spend the rest on books as they will likely be what makes you a better designer.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am a semi graphic designer and my 2012 rMBP base model can spank Adobe Master Collection just perfect fine. It runs on nVidia 650M dGPU. :apple:

7. Flabasha macrumors member

Be aware there are TONS of problems with the current MacBook Pros running Adobe After Effects and Premiere if you use CUDA, but I don't know about InDesign or Photoshop. But at least half the Adobe suite is next to unusable on MacBook Pros. Chances are it's an NVIDIA problem, but there's some thought that it's due to Yosemite... No one's stepping up to fix it apparently...

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/961633#963583

It's prevented me from buying a new MBP. But again, I'm a video editor.

8. CJash thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info! I actually placed my order for a 15" rMBP last night through Best Buy. I'll be picking it up today. I'll follow up with if I have any issues at all, but im looking forward to working with it.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What does your school say or recommend for the configuration?
    Do they offer the laptops at a discount? Many schools do, so don't rush out and buy one, you may be able to save some money.
    Also wait until the summer of you can, because Apple runs a back to school special.

----------

oops, never mind, ignore my post, since you already bought one.