Calling All Apple AirPort Owners!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jimmyco2008, Feb 10, 2015.

1. jimmyco2008, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015

jimmyco2008 macrumors regular

As you may know, Apple keeps the lid on its AirPort routers pretty tight, and has more recently stripped us of our ability to self-install firmware via AirPort Utility. I believe AirPort Utility 5.6.1 was the last version to support updating AirPort firmware via a basebinary file on one's Mac. At the time (when Lion was the latest OS X), basebinary files were also stored on one's Mac locally, in this directory: ~/Library/Application Support/Apple/AirPort/Firmware. Other than knowing the *exact* URL for each basebinary file on Apple's servers (each has a lengthy string of random characters in it), checking that file path is the only way to get an AirPort firmware basebinary file.

You probably know where I'm going with this. I'd like to gather as many of these basebinary files as possible. I don't need all of them, but the more I have, the better.

If you're willing, and especially if you have an older Mac laying around, please check that directory and upload (to DropBox or wherever I can get to it) what you have!

While I'm content with the basebinary file itself, it would be helpful if you uploaded the folder that it's in, which is named after the AirPort router it is for (the name of the folder will likely be a number that corresponds to the AirPort's model number). This folder should also contain a file called "version.xml". In it should be the URL to download that particular basebinary file. I'll gladly take that by itself, too. I'm asking for the basebinary files you have in case Apple's URLs no longer work.

Thank you!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

7.3.1 does not exist for a 2013 model Time Capsule and installing it would be potentially dangerous. I recommend that you archive 7.7-7.7.3.

3. jimmyco2008 thread starter macrumors regular

You're right, that's a typo. I'm actually not sure what year it's for, but certainly not the 2013.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

7.3.1 came out in March of 2008 and could be installed on the first generation Time Capsule and accompanying Extreme.