Calling all campers: Tent advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by és:, Mar 24, 2009.

1. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Do we have any tenters in?

I'm going on a camping trip with the family and I'm looking for a new tent (I already have an outwell hartford XL, but I'm thinking of selling it to raise money for a new tent.). I've been looking at the Vango Tigris 800. It comes with a lifetime warranty, which is important to me. The outwell needs a couple of zips replacing and because it is over 3 years old (now in its 4th year) they won't do it.

I'd love some suggestions on tent and kit, as well as shared stories, photos and general camping tips!

2. Quad SLi 295 macrumors member

Quad SLi 295

Can't help on the whole family camping scene. Camping for me is a backpack, bivy bag, MSR stove, Telemark skis and a mountain.

Head to your local camping store. Ask the people that deal with this thing everyday. Find a design you like (of course one that also meets your needs) and ensure it's build quality is acceptable.

check into any warranty available, make a decision.

Jimmy

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've been known to pitch-a-tent but not sure that's the type of advice you are looking for. ;)

4. Quad SLi 295 macrumors member

Quad SLi 295

^^dude that's a little childish^^

that said what you do in front of your computer is between you, your credit card and the lamp post.

Jimmy

5. és: thread starter macrumors 6502a

és:

Unfortunately for me, my local camping place (and most places here) are like wallmart for tents. The people don't know anything and they only have tents rolled up ready to be sold.

6. Quad SLi 295 macrumors member

Quad SLi 295

I'm not sure where in the UK (or Nth Ireland) you are but I've met plenty of Poms in the mountains that have got awesome gear. Surely there's a local phone book of your town / city that would have more specific listing. It's the UK, surely there'd be camping stores around, it's not like Kashmir. Even if you have to drive an hour.

Jimmy

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I don't have advice on specific tents, especially family sized ones (I have a three-man and a one-man), but definitely, definitely, definitely seal your seams on any tent you get. You can get a bottle of seam sealer for a few pounds. This will help protect against any leaks in the stitching.

8. és: thread starter macrumors 6502a

és:

Yeah, probably about 45m - 1hr drive to a place that knows what it is doing. This thread isn't just for advice though, mate. I'm fairly sure it'll be the Tigris 800. I just wanted a place for campers and a good start to that is tent advice :D

9. Quad SLi 295 macrumors member

Quad SLi 295

Camping advice... book the family into a nice hotel in a quiet village. call up some mates, grab the hiking gear and go bush in the mountains for a few days ;) come back with sore feet, a few stories and some great photos.

Jimmy

10. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Look at Khyam tents. They're a bit more expensive than most, but they're fantastic - I've owned one for six years and it is still in one piece despite going to Glastonbury five times, and multiple other festivals and holidays.

Not only that, they're very strong and wind-resistant, so you won't be chasing it down a field. Oh, and mine takes about 30 seconds to put up (plus pegging time).